CLEAN (Clean Local Energy Accessible Now)
CLEAN (Clean Local Energy Accessible Now) is a program to purchase electricity generated by renewable energy generation systems located in CPAU’s service territory, which coincides with the city boundaries. Programs like this, known in the industry as "feed-in tariff" programs, involve a utility paying a fixed price (tariff) for the power that is "fed into" their electric grid from local generation systems.
CPAU is currently offering to purchase the output of eligible renewable electric generation systems located in Palo Alto at the following prices:
- For solar energy resources: 16.5 cents per kilowatt hour (¢/kWh) for a 15-, 20- or 25-year contract term until the subscribed capacity reaches 3 MW – after that the price will drop to 8.8 ¢/kWh for a 15-year contract term, 8.9 ¢/kWh for a 20-year contract term, or 9.1 ¢/kWh for a 25-year contract term; and
- For non-solar eligible renewable energy resources: 8.3 ¢/kWh for a 15-year contract term, 8.4 ¢/kWh for a 20-year contract term, or 8.5 ¢/kWh for a 25-year contract term.
- The program no longer has a total participation cap for either solar or non-solar eligible renewable energy resources. There is also no minimum or maximum size for individual projects.
Applications will be accepted in the order received. Please see the program documents for more details.
Current Program Status
- 160 kW CEC-AC of capacity is currently available for solar resources at the 16.5 ¢/kWh contract price. Six applications (totaling 2.840MW CEC-AC) have been accepted already. (Updated 11/10/22)
- Applications may be submitted by e-mail only. Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications will be accepted in the order received.
- Please carefully review the Program Handbook to understand the application rules, particularly Section 2. In the event the program is oversubscribed, failing to submit all necessary information may mean you do not receive a contract.