Although more activities are allowed under the Orange Tier, the County Health Officer urges everyone to remember that indoor activities are much higher risk than outdoor activities and to take every step to reduce your risk as much as possible. While COVID-19 infection rates are slightly decreasing in Santa Clara County, they are rising across the U.S.
To prevent a fourth surge and to keep yourself, your family, your friends and neighbors, and our broader community safe, follow these core principles:
- Stay outdoors. Outdoor activities are far safer than indoor ones.
- Stay masked. Consistent use of face coverings both indoors and outdoors, especially double-masking, is very effective at preventing spread of the coronavirus.
- Maintain at least 6-foot distance from others. Social distancing from those who do not live with you is effective at keeping the coronavirus away.
- Avoid crowds. The fewer people you encounter and the fewer interactions you have, the lower the chance the virus will spread.
- Get vaccinated when it is your turn. All federally approved vaccines work well and will help keep you, your family, and your friends safe.
A frequently asked question is whether or not fully vaccinated people need to wear a mask. The answer is yes, fully vaccinated people should continue to wear a mask and continue to perform other safety precautions. The CDC has put out further guidance. See the CDC's "Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People."
For more information on what the State allows in the Orange Tier, please visit covid19.ca.gov.