The City Auditor is a City Council Appointee, meaning the City Council appoints this position. The City Charter defines the City Auditor's important role and furthers the City Council’s commitment to internal auditing, transparency, and accountability in government
The Palo Alto City Council approved a contract through June 2022 with an option to extend for three years with internationally-regarded advisory, tax, auditing, and assurance firm Baker Tilly US, LLP (Baker Tilly) and appointed Kyle O’Rourke, MPA, CIA, CGAP, CRMA, Senior Consulting Manager in Baker Tilly's Public Sector practice, as City Auditor on September 28, 2020. Read the full news release on this appointment.
About the City Auditor
Kyle O’Rourke is a 10-year veteran in internal auditing and consulting services for public sector clients. O’Rourke specializes in risk consulting, business process reviews, and organizational and operational assessments. He has added expertise in benchmarking studies and technology needs assessments.
His credentials include:
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP)
- IIA Risk Management Assurance Certification
- IIA Leadership Academy
- Master of Public Affairs with a concentration in Public Financial Management
- Bachelor of Science in Public Affairs, from Indiana University at Bloomington
O'Rourke is also a leader and member of the following organizations:
- Senior Vice President of the Chicago chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Association of Local Government Auditors (ALGA), member
- Association of Government Accountants (AGA)
Kyle has written extensively on auditing, risk management, and related topics.
About Baker Tilly
Baker Tilly is one of the few comprehensive professional services firms with a practice dedicated to state and local governmental clients. Baker Tilly’s experience extends across more than 40 states with specific public sector clients in California such as the cities of Carlsbad, Riverside, Burbank, Modesto, and Richmond and several utility clients including Sacramento Municipal Utility District, Imperial Irrigation District, Northern California Power Agency, San Diego Gas & Electric, Glendale Utilities, Pasadena Water and Electric, Anaheim Public Utilities, and the California Public Utilities Commission. This is notable as Palo Alto owns and operates its own utilities.