Library Advisory Commission (Disbanded)
At Library Advisory Commission (LAC) meetings on August 22 and October 24 2019, some committee members suggested bringing the topic of dissolving the commission to the attention of the City Council. This possibility was included in the City Council LAC Study Session on December 16, 2019. At this meeting, the City Council added the LAC to their list of boards and commissions for consideration of changes. On February 24th, Mayor Fine made a motion to dissolve the LAC. The motion was seconded by Council Member Kniss and the motion passed unanimously with 7 votes. The first reading of an ordinance to dissolve the Library Advisory Commission (LAC) was passed as a consent calendar item for the June 8th City Council meeting. The second reading occurred at the June 22nd City Council Meeting and also passed. With the second reading, the LAC is effectively disbanded. You can find the staff report from the City Council meeting here. We give our heartfelt thanks to the LAC for their many contributions to the Palo Alto library and the community.
The purpose of the Library Advisory Commission was to advise the City Council on matters relating to the Palo Alto City Library, excluding daily administrative operations. Its duties were:
- To advise the City Council on planning and policy matters;
- To review state legislative proposals that may affect the operation of the library;
- To review the City Manager's proposed budget for capital improvements and operations relating to the library and forward comments to one or more applicable committees of the City Council;
- To provide advice upon such other matters as the City Council may from time to time assign;
- To receive community input concerning the library; and
- To review and comment on fund-raising efforts on behalf of the library
The Commission was a five member body appointed by the City Council. Terms of Commissioners are for three years, See Palo Alto Municipal Code Chapters 2.16 and 2.24. In order to be notified of vacancies and appointment procedures, you may contact the City Clerk's Office at 329-2571. Meetings were held bi-monthly on the fourth Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at 250 Hamilton Avenue. These meetings will no longer occur as of July 2020 due to the disbandment of the LAC.
The email address and P.O. box for the LAC have been eliminated. For concerns about the Library or recommendations to the Director, please email those entities directly:
Library Director: LibraryDirector@CityofPaloAlto.org
Palo Alto City Library General Inquiries: email@example.com
Commission was disbanded in June 2020. We thank our past Commissioners for their service.
Past LAC ByLaws
Past Agendas and Minutes