Maintaining the City’s Information Technology portfolio is exciting and challenging work. Our department provides support to over 1,000 employees, linking them to a vast array of people and services throughout the City and beyond. You might not see us every day, but we are working behind the scenes, driving and maintaining the technology that runs our digital City 24/7. The Information Technology Department delivers value by promoting our core themes:
- Provide a range of technology solutions to serve employees, departments, and the community.
- Support and improve the technology infrastructure that enables the day-to-day operations of the City.
- Maintain an exciting workplace that inspires high-performance and provides career growth opportunities.
Here are some highlights of our projects completed over the last fiscal year.
- ERP Upgrade - Upgraded our current SAP ERP to latest enhancement pack 8.0 on the HANA platform.
- Next Generation Website - Introduced a next generation, best of breed, City of Palo Alto Website.
- VPN Procurement and MFA Implementation - Implemented multi-factor authentication (MFA) over VPN.
- MDF/IDF Upgrade - Updated network hardware and UPS devices, some from 2012
- File Services Implementation - Replaced the current, end-of-life, StorSimple solution.
- Library Computer Refresh FY21 - Executed the deployment of newly imaged computers to each library location as part of the refresh cycle.
- Fiber and AMI Expansion - Phases 1 & 3 - Produced a high-level design and cost estimate for fiber expansion to support Advanced Metering. Created a business case and high-level design for a citywide Fiber-to-the Premises (FTTP) network.
The Information Technology Department has a number of exciting projects currently in progress.
- Open Data Portal Replacement - Replace the current open data platform with a new robust platform that includes an analytics layer.
- Open Cities - JMZ Website - JMZ will reopen their new facility and need a website to showcase their facility and features. They need a platform to provide a family friendly experience to the facility.
- Website Accessibility Audit - The city has a contract with an ADA vendor to conduct an audit which includes the website.
- ITSM Implementation - This project shall implement the recently procured Team Dynamix ITSM solution.
- GIS-ESRI framework Implementation - This project is intended to convert existing GIS data to ESRI-compatible GIS data.
- Fiber and AMI Expansion - Phases 2 & 4 - The City of Palo Alto is beginning a multi-phase fiber optic network expansion plan.
The following is a list of a few technology projects in the IT queue.
- ESRI-based Fiber Management System Implementation - Implementation of an ESRI-based Fiber Management System (FMS).
- Phone System Upgrade - Upgrade Avaya Phone System.