New Connection or Upgrades to Utilities

 RC Header 8232022.png   

This page will walk you through the process of submittal to receiving new connections or upgrades to Water, Gas, Wastewater, and Electric Utilities.

Regardless of whether the project is commercial/multifamily or residential, a utility service application is required for our review.

To obtain a new connection or meter:

Step 1: 

 Select the proper utility service application. Application Forms and Guidelines

Commercial Property:

  • Properties that include office buildings, medical centers, hotels, malls, retail stores, multifamily housing buildings (4 or more units), warehouses, and garages.

Residential Property: 

  • Properties that are zoned specifically for living or dwelling for individuals or households; it may include standalone single-family, multi-unit dwellings up to 3 units.

Step 2: 

For permitting requirements, contact Building Department. If permit required, the utility service application is to be submitted to Building Department as part of the Building Submittal Packet. If no permit required, completion of the utility service application is required to be submitted to Utilities. Utilities will provide a response within approximately 10 business days. 

Step 3: 

Utilities will review the project based on the timeline set up by Building Department. Upon approval, the applicant will receive notification of status.

  • Electrical Engineering: After plans are approved, Utilities Electrical Engineering determines the utility connection charges for the installation. Depending on the type and size of service being requested, you can expect either the standard connection fee(PDF, 109KB) or an estimated work order inclusive of labor and materials costs to provide the requested service.
  • WGW Engineering: WGW Engineering approval packet will include copies of the approved plans or service application, conditions of approval, and invoice for upgraded connections, new connections and meters.
  • Standard Connection Fees:      Water(PDF, 49KB)      Gas(PDF, 48KB)     Wastewater(PDF, 46KB)

Step 4:

Customer is required to pay the utilities service connection fees.

      CPAU is unable to perform inspections or installations prior to payment.

      Due to our offices not being open to the public, we are accepting payments by mail or by phone.

Phone call payments:

  • Call Revenue Collections, M-F 8 am to 4 pm, (650) 329-2317. We accept VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. Please email a copy of the invoice to: prior to calling. The representative will need to obtain information contained in the invoice document to process the payment.

Mail in payments:

  • Make check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to: City of Palo Alto Utilities
  • Mail to: Revenue Collections, P.O. Box 10250, Palo Alto CA 94303
  • Please include a copy of the invoice with the payment

Step 5:

Scheduling of new connections.

Electric Connection/Meter:

     Overhead Services:

  • Applicant to call for electric panel inspection with Building Department (650) 329-2496 (option 2) prior to connection. The Inspector will send a tag to Electric Operations dispatch for final installation.

     Underground Services: 

  • Applicant to call for a pre-construction underground inspection, electric underground trench and conduit inspection at (650) 496- 6977, and panel inspection with Building Department (650)329-2496 (option 2) prior to connection. The Inspector will send a tag to Electric Operations dispatch for final installation. Please allow for a 3-5 business day response time for CPAU inspection. 

WGW Connection/Meter:

  • Once the private water service up to the backflow preventer, gas service stub out, and/or wastewater lateral have been installed, call for inspection with CPAU Inspector M-F 8am - 4pm (650) 496-6982. Please allow for a 3-5 business day response time.
  • Water meters will be set after CPAU installs water service or the meter box has been installed by the contractor.
  • Gas meters are installed after Utilities Customer Service receives a release from Building Inspection.