Palo Alto Celebrates Public Service Recognition Week
Palo Alto joins in the nationwide Public Service Recognition Week taking place May 6-12, 2018 with a host of activities in honor of the employees who make the City shine and keep it running.
Since 1985, Congress has designated the first full week of May to pay tribute to employees who serve our nation as federal, state, county, and local government employees.
Here in Palo Alto, 114 employees are celebrating milestone work anniversaries of 20, 25, 30 and 35 years of service this year. On Monday, May 7, these dedicated employees will be acknowledged during a Years of Service Reception beginning at 5 p.m. in City Hall. Mayor Liz Kniss will also issue a Proclamation at 6 p.m. to recognize the accomplishments of Palo Alto employees who contribute to the quality of life in our City.
In just the past year alone, City staff have:
- Provided service to nearly 73,000 electric, water, and gas customer accounts;
- Resurfaced 40 miles of streets;
- Processed more than 19,000 Procurement Card transactions totaling $8.1 million to support City operations;
- Checked out more than 1.5 million library items to over 1 million visitors;
- Welcomed 91% of Palo Alto residents to a local or neighborhood park at least once;
- Presented more than 180 public safety education presentations, and/or training sessions;
- Offered nearly 800 recreational classes and programs, maintained parks; and
- preserved more than 4,000 acres of open space
You can read Mayor Kniss' full Proclamation here.
The week culminates with staff hosting an Open House at the Municipal Service Center on East Bayshore Road on Saturday, May 12 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. This free, fun-filled event takes the community “behind the scenes” to see firsthand what it takes to operate the City.
Attendees will enjoy treats, music, and games such as bean bag toilet toss and backhoe bowling, while meeting the employees who work every day to keep City services running and the streets safe in Palo Alto. Please register here.
Last Updated: April 18, 2018