Update January 30, 2020: The ReThink Disposable program wrapped up in July 2019. ReThink will begin work with the City again in 2020 as Palo Alto's Zero Waste Program rolls out new disposable foodware requirements for restaurants. In summary, ReThink Disposable had:
- Certified 12 new food businesses;
- Eliminated 1,123,443 single-use food ware items annually;
- Prevented 13,418 lbs of annual waste; and
- Provided a combined total annual net-savings to the businesses of $32,023
Do you have your own restaurant, café, or food related business? Want to save money and let your customers know that you’re doing your part to help keep the environment clean?
Partner up with ReThink Disposable, a FREE program provided by the City of Palo Alto–Watershed Protection and the Clean Water Action Fund. ReThink Disposable helps restaurants reduce waste and cut costs by minimizing disposable packaging items. ReThink Disposable staff provides hands-on support to help you:
- Save money
- Improve customers’ dining experience
- Prevent litter near your business
- Keep local waterways clean
- Be a greener business
- Lower waste disposal costs.
In addition, participating businesses can receive up to $300 toward the purchase of reusable service ware!
Learn what restaurants around the Bay Area are saying about the ReThink Disposable program.
The City of Palo Alto and ReThink Disposable thanks these businesses for completing the program:
- Kirk’s Burgers (Saved $3,981 in annual net savings and prevented 2,477 pounds of waste a year, see case study)
- New York Pizza (Saved $3,043 in annual net savings and prevented 2,955 pounds of waste a year, see case study)
- Sprout's Cafe
- Palo Alto Baking Company
- The Counter
- Oshman Family JCC's Nourish Cafe
- Subway (all three Palo Alto locations)
- Taqueria El Grullense
- Como Esta Taqueria
In 2016, over 500 pounds of trash was found during two creek clean up events in Palo Alto. Much of that litter was food wrappers, straws and other disposable foodware. The City of Palo Alto thanks businesses participating in the ReThink program for taking the pledge to Rethink Disposable and reduce litter in our streets and creeks!
ReThink Disposable Restaurant Testimonial: Kirk's Steakburgers
Last Updated: August 30, 2017