News Details

Street Sweeping Ordinances

The Sweeping Section of Public Works does not provide curbside green waste pickup nor do they sweep leaves that are collected on private property sidewalks. Please have GreenWaste of Palo Alto (650 493-4894) pick up your garden compostables. Advise gardeners not to blow out debris or other matter into the gutter! Green waste that is placed in the streets can pass into the storm drains or block gutters and could cause flooding. Blocking streets and sidewalks creates possible hazardous conditions for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. Animal inhabitants of the City's storm drains, creeks and bayland are affected by debris that enters the storm systems. Uncollected green waste also causes environmental health issues for species that inhabit our creeks, estuary and bay. Cyclists and pedestrians also use our streets. Debris that is placed there may be hazardous to them. Spilled rocks, glass and other hazards can be reported to Public Works Operations at (650)496-6974 or in an Emergency (650)329-2413. The following ordinances describe what actions are violations and may result in enforcement:

  • Ordinance 9.48.040
    Placing any debris or green waste in the street is a violation of the municipal code.
  • Ordinance 9.48.020
    It is illegal to block the street in any manner. Leaving debris, furniture or any other objects in the street is a violation of the municipal code.
  • Ordinance 10.36.030
    The maximum term for residential on-street parking is 72 hours unless otherwise posted. Vehicles that are left standing are subject to citation or tow. Please park your car off-street on sweeping day.
  • Ordinance 10.44.050
    Public Works Sweeping may require a clear path to sweep streets. This may be accomplished by posting temporary no parking signs. These signs are approved and enforced by Police Department Traffic Division. Please observe signs for hours of Temporary NO PARKING.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please fill out our online comment form or call (650-496-6974).

Last Updated: March 28, 2007