Reduce Plastics in Our Creeks and Bay
Plastic comprises 60% of the litter found in Santa Clara County creeks. Plastic bags, foam products, beverage containers, and other plastic debris are carried by wind or through storm drains into creeks, the Bay and Pacific Ocean.
Here's how you can help reduce plastics in our waterways:
- Use reusable shopping bags for ALL shopping, not just food stores
- Use reusable water bottles and travel mugs
- Request that your local newspaper carrier use a plastic bag only when it rains. Click here to find out who to contact.
- Learn more at plasticfreeguide.com
What are local communities doing to keep plastics out of waterways:
Palo Alto has banned single use checkout bags at the seven large grocery stores as of September 18, 2009, at all retail stores effective July 1, 2013 and all food service establishments effective November 1, 2013. Palo Alto has also banned the use of single use disposable “foam” (expanded polystyrene) food containers effective Earth Day 2010.
For more information about the following programs see:
- 2013 Disposable Checkout Bag Ordinance
- Polystyrene Restriction Ordinance
- 2009 Plastic Bag Restriction
- Plastics Policy for City of Palo Alto Operations and Events
Last Updated: June 26, 2014