Frederick W. WEISSHAAR Park
Location: 2298 Dartmouth Street between College and California avenues
Description: 1.1 acre open grassy area for active or passive enjoyment in the College Terrace neighborhood.
Amenities: two tennis courts, bench, picnic table
History note: Along with Cameron, Werry, and Mayfield, Weisshaar is one of the four old Mayfield parks. Dating back to 1888, the mini parks, positioned symmetrically, were originally called Berkeley, Hollywood, Hampton, and Eton. In 1968 Hampton was renamed Weisshaar after Frederick W. Weisshaar who arrived in Mayfield in 1862. In 1870 Weisshaar and his friend Peter Spacher bought and farmed 120 acres until the late 1880s when they sold their land to Alexander Gordon who subdivided it into plots that would become College Terrace. Weisshaar was a longtime Mayfield school district trustee and was elected Mayfield’s first treasurer.
Last Updated: February 16, 2007