Bowling Green Park
LAWN BOWLING GREEN Park
Location: 474 Embarcadero Road
Description: 2-acre park features a lawn bowling green and a club house for members. Outside the ivy-covered fence, an open grassy area welcomes active and passive enjoyment.
History note: Constructed in 1933-34 by the Civil Works Administration, the Lawn Bowling Green sits on the site of the old Peninsula Hospital (built in 1910 and razed in 1931). On opening day, March 10, 1935, ceremonial bowls were rolled by Virginia Arnott, club president; Earl C. Thomas, mayor of Palo Alto; and John McLaren, superintendent of Golden Gate Park who aided in the planning of Palo Alto’s green.
Of special interest: The Palo Alto Lawn Bowls Club, in existence since 1933, offers draw games, friendship games, annual matches with Berkeley (for the Meat Axe trophy) and with San Francisco (Cable Car Classic). Club members provide free instruction and welcome visitors and new members of all ages. For more information on lawn bowling and the Palo Alto Lawn Bowls Club, visit http://www.palbc.org/.
Last Updated: April 30, 2008