Customer Connect Advanced Meter Pilot Program
The CustomerConnect pilot program has officially been concluded as of Dec 31, 2019. Citywide rollout of Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) is anticipated to commence in 2021 and complete by 2024.
Pilot Participants: The pilot time-of-use rate option and online portal have also been discontinued. The City of Palo Alto Utilities (CPAU) would like to thank you for your involvement and support throughout the course of the program. We greatly appreciate your participation and feedback.
In December 2012, City Council approved the CustomerConnect pilot program to evaluate the application of AMI in Palo Alto. Pilot participants were able to connect, track and monitor their daily consumption with metered interval usage data.
Utility customers typically receive information about their electricity, natural gas and water usage and billing information on a monthly basis, after the services were used (and the costs incurred). The pilot participant households were retrofitted with advanced meters to provide hourly usage information, which allowed our participants to monitor their own consumption via an online portal. Another benefit of using advanced meters and the associated communication network is that CPAU will be able to detect electric outages and water leaks faster while lowering utility operations costs.
The program achieved its objectives and City staff gaining experience in the following areas:
- Installation and maintenance of advanced meters and communication networks;
- Implementation of a pilot residential Time-of-Use electricity retail rates;
- Assisted customers in identifying and troubleshooting water leakages at their homes;
- Evaluation of ways to lower the system integration cost for a full-scale AMI implementation;
- Evaluation of ways to integrate AMI into the distribution outage management system (OMS);
- Evaluation of ways to optimally integrate flexible customer technology like batteries and electric vehicles
If you have further questions about the CustomerConnect program, please email CustomerConnect or call (650) 329-2241.