|Did you know that an old refrigerator could be one of the highest energy using item in your home? Especially if that old refrigerator is gold, avocado green, or dark brown, it is using a lot of electricity! A great way to reduce your electric bill could be to have it recycled in an environmentally friendly manner and replace it with a new efficient appliance. The City of Palo Alto Utilities supports the US Environmental Protection Agency Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) Program. For more information, you can read the 2016 RAD program presentation. Second refrigerators in garages are particularly wasteful of electricity.
What are the recycling program qualifications?
- Refrigerators or freezers are eligible.
- Appliances must be located at a residential or business location served by CPAU.
- Units do not need to be operating at the time of pick-up.
- Appliances must be between 10 and 30 cubic feet eligible (i.e., smaller and larger units not eligible).
- Up to two units harvestable from any given customer service account per calendar year.
To schedule your pick up date, visit ARCA's sign-up web page, or call (888) 540-7756. For information on your rebate, call Utility Program Services at (650) 329-2241. Sign up on our email list to get updates on rebates, programs and workshops.