Refrigerator Recycling Program
Attention: The refrigerator/freezer recycling program is temporarily suspended. We are in the process of contracting with a new recycling vendor and will update this page as soon as possible. If you have questions, please call Utility Program Services at (650) 329-2241.
Did you know that an old refrigerator could be the highest energy using item in your home? Especially if that old refrigerator is gold, avocado green, or dark brown, it is using a lot of electricity! Your best way to reduce your electric bill could be to have it recycled in an environmentally friendly manner and replace it with a new efficient appliance. The City of Palo Alto Utilities supports the US Environmental Protection Agency Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) Program. For more information, you can read the 2016 RAD program presentation.
Second refrigerators in garages are particularly wasteful of electricity.
What are the recycling program qualifications?
- Refrigerators or freezers are eligible.
- Appliances must be located at a residential location served by CPAU.
- Units must be demonstrated to be operating (i.e., producing appropriately cold temperatures) at the time of pick-up.
- Appliances must be between 10 and 32 cubic feet eligible (i.e., smaller and larger units not eligible).
- Up to two units harvestable from any given customer service account per calendar year.
Sign up on our email list to get updates on rebates, programs and workshops.