Residential Water Conservation
The City of Palo Alto Utilities (CPAU) partners with the Santa Clara Valley Water District (SCVWD) to offer programs and rebates to Palo Alto residents aiming to use water more efficiently during landscape upgrades and repairs.
Free DIY Water-Wise Indoor Survey Kit
Santa Clara Valley Water District (SCVWD), the City of Palo Alto Utilities’ (CPAU) partner in water conservation, offers customers a Do-it-Yourself kit to evaluate indoor water use that includes a flow rate bag for testing shower and sink flow rates and dye tablets to test toilets for leaks. Included in the kit will be a step-by-step guide to evaluating water use, including:
- Meter leak test
- Toilet leak test
- Sink/Shower flow rates
- General indoor leak information
Contact SCVWD for more information:
PHONE: (408) 630-2554
- Free Water-Wise Outdoor Survey. Home irrigation systems are often inefficient, due to equipment placement/coverage, over-watering, wind/evaporation patterns, and outdated equipment. Residential single-family and small multi-family sites with at least one valve-operated irrigation zone are eligible to participate in SCVWD’s Water-Wise Outdoor Survey.
- Landscape Conversion Rebate. CPAU and SCVWD, offers rebates to Palo Alto residents who switch from water-intensive yards to more resilient, efficient plantings. Receive up to $2/ft2 in rebates for your lawn conversion.
- This water landscape video has some tips for water-wise landscape maintenance.
- Irrigation Equipment Upgrade Rebate. SCVWD offers rebates for qualifying irrigation hardware.
- Graywater Laundry to Landscape Rebate. A Graywater System recycles lightly used household water from clothes washing for use in pre-approved landscape areas. SCVWD provides Palo Alto residents a Graywater Laundry to Landscape rebate of $200 per single-family residential site for properly connecting a clothes washer to a graywater irrigation system.
- Watch a graywater video from SCVWD on Laundry to Landscape graywater systems.
To learn more or apply for any of the Landscape Efficiency Rebates, contact SCVWD:
Phone: (408) 630-2554
In order to be eligible for any of the above rebates, pre-installation inspections are required. Specific installation requirements may apply.
Events and Workshops
Throughout the year, the City offers free workshops on sustainable landscaping, composting, home graywater and other efficiency strategies, safe pest management, etc. Visit our workshops page for the most current information and registration. You can join our residential water conservation mailing list for updates on programs, rebates and workshops.