Palo Alto CLEAN
CLEAN (Clean Local Energy Accessible Now) is a program to purchase electricity generated by renewable energy generation systems located in CPAU’s service territory, which coincides with the city boundaries. Programs like this, known in the industry as "feed-in tariff" programs, involve a utility paying a fixed price (tariff) for the power that is "fed into" their electric grid from local generation systems.
On May 8,
- For solar energy resources: 16.5 cents per
kilowatt hour(¢/kWh) for a 15-, 20- or 25-year contract term until the subscribed capacity reaches 3 MW – after that the price will drop to 8.8 ¢/kWh for a 15-year contract term, 8.9 ¢/kWh for a 20-year contract term, or 9.1 ¢/kWh for a 25-year contract term; and
- For non-solar eligible renewable energy resources: 8.3 ¢/kWh for a 15-year contract term, 8.4 ¢/kWh for a 20-year contract term, or 8.5 ¢/kWh for a 25-year contract term.
- The program no longer has a total participation cap for either solar or non-solar eligible renewable energy resources. There is also no minimum or maximum size for individual projects.
Applications will be accepted in the order received. Please see the Program Handbook and Application Package below for more details.
Current Program Status
- 160 kW CEC-AC of capacity is currently available for solar resources at the 16.5 ¢/kWh contract price. Six applications (totaling 2.915 MW CEC-AC) have been accepted already. (Updated 3/23/18)
- Applications may be submitted by e-mail only. Send your application to PAClean@cityofpaloalto.org
- Applications will be accepted in the order received.
- Please carefully review the Program Handbook to understand the application rules, particularly Section 2. In the event the program is oversubscribed, failing to submit all necessary information may mean you do not receive a contract.
- For any general questions or comments or to be put on a list to receive program updates, please contact the CLEAN representative at (650) 329-2314 or by e-mail to PAClean@cityofpaloalto.org
- All solar projects participating in the CLEAN program are required to go through the standard permitting and interconnection approval process for such projects. For a detailed description of the steps involved in this process, please visit the Commercial Solar PV Permitting page. Any additional questions regarding building permits and inspections may be directed to the Development Center at (650) 329-2496. To email the Building Division directly, contact email@example.com. For questions regarding generator interconnection, please contact the Electric Engineering Division at (650) 566-4502.
- For questions regarding land use and zoning requirements, please contact the Current Planning Division at (650) 329-2441 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, there is much information on zoning requirements available online. See the Planning Division website and the Zoning Map and Zoning Ordinance files.