How to Install an EV Charger in your Palo Alto home
1. Review the City’s Requirements.
Work with your contractor to review and follow the City's Submittal Guidelines for Residential Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.
2. Contact your EV Manufacturer.
Contact your car manufacturer and inquire as to the specific charging needs for your electric vehicle(s).
3. Apply for a City Permit.
Before installing your EV charger, submit a completed Permit Application to the City’s Development Services.
4. Install EV Charger with a Licensed Contractor.
Contractors must follow requirements outlined in the City of Palo Alto Building Codes and guidelines established by your EV manufacturer.
- Frequently Asked Questions about EVs and EV chargers in Palo Alto
- Permit questions: Contact Development Services at (650) 329-2496
- General questions about EVs or EV Chargers: Contact CPAU Programs & Services at (650) 329-2241
Note: The City of Palo Alto Utilities is not currently offering EV Charger rebates for homeowners. Please visit the State of California's Drive Clean website to learn whether state or federal incentives may apply to your EV Charger purchase.
We are looking for your feedback on our new webpages. Please click here to answer a short survey.