Statewide Flex Alert
Please help us conserve energy during peak demand periods of 3-10 pm
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) has issued a statewide Flex Alert, which is a call for voluntary electricity conservation, due to forecasted high temperatures. The ISO is predicting increased demand and stress on the electric grid as a result of the heat, particularly due to air conditioning use.
Californians are asked to conserve electricity as much as possible during peak energy demand hours from 3 pm to 10 pm.
Read the press release from the ISO here.
Tips to conserve energy and stay cool:
- Set air conditioning thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, if health permits.
- Cool your home to below normal levels in the morning and reduce your air conditioning during the afternoon hours.
- Use a fan instead of air conditioning.
- Close blinds and drapes.
- Defer use of major appliances.
- Turn off unnecessary lights.
- Unplug unused electrical devices.
- Limit time the refrigerator door is open.
- Consumers can also take steps to prepare for the Flex Alert by doing the following before 3 pm:
- “Pre-cool” homes or lower air conditioning thermostats to 72 degrees.
- Charge electric vehicles.
- Charge mobile devices and laptops.
- Run dishwashers, washing machines and other major appliances.
- Set pool pumps to run in the early morning or late at night.
For more ways to conserve, visit cityofpaloalto.org/efficiencytips
Last Updated: October 15, 2020