New Utilities Service or Meter

To apply for electric, water, gas, and sewer (wastewater) services and meters installations as a result of new construction, addition or remodel of a building please contact or visit Utilities Engineering located at 1007 Elwell Court, Palo Alto, CA 94303 (click link for map directions) between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on weekdays.

Electric Engineering: (650) 566-4500 or email

Water, Gas, Wastewater Engineering: (650) 566-4501 or email

The following steps are necessary to set up utility services in the City of Palo Alto:

Step 1: Select the proper utility service application. Application Forms and Guidelines

Step 2: If needed, contact or visit the
Utilities Engineering office for a pre-project inquiry.

Step 3: Submit utility service applications and plans to building inspection.

Step 4: Pay utilities service connection fees.

Step 5: Obtain required building permits and schedule inspections.

Step 6: Coordinate utility service installation.

Step 7: Call for utility and building inspections.

Step 8: Service and meters will be installed.

Do you need to submit an Electric Application?

You NEED to submit an electric application, If your project is:

You DO NOT need to submit an electric application, If your project is:

Commercial / Multi – family service

New or replacing panel and/or meter base

Relocating, or upgrading your electric service

Adding electrical load that is greater than 20% of existing load

Installing a pool or spa

Installing a temporary electric service

Converting electric service from an Overhead service to an Underground service

Requesting electric service greater than 400amps or 3 Phase

Requesting multiple electrical meters


Installing new light fixtures ONLY

Doing a small interior remodel that does not require electrical upgrade

Redoing a bathroom and/or kitchen that does not require electrical upgrade

Doing an exterior remodel not requiring a change to your main electric meter panel

Adding/reconstructing a driveway 

If you are unsure of whether or not to complete an electric application, please call Electric Engineering at (650) 566-4500.


Contact the Customer Service Center at (650) 329-2161 for information in the following areas:

  • Pre-Project Inquiry
  • Residential Utility Service
  • Non-Residential Utility Service
  • Change Existing Service
  • Seasonal Shut-off, service Turn On/Off, Start/Stop Service, and/or Billing Inquires.