Backflow Installation Information
If you are a Utilities customer who has been directed to install a backflow prevention device on your water main, we want to make the process as easy as possible for you!
Please visit our State requirement page for more information.
You can obtain general instructions about the process and contact information for assistance by viewing the Backflow Prevention Device Installation Guide.
For important advice about backflow issues if you also want to "go green" and use rain barrels, recycled "gray water" or install solar water heating, please view our Options to Go Green .
And here is a list of resources you might want to download or access:
- The Building Department's Online Permit System lets you deal with the process from your home or office.
- Public Works Department Information and Forms
- Building Permit Application
- Building Department's Backflow Prevention Inspection Guidelines
- Building Department Automated Inspection Brochure
- Fire Service Permit Application.
Private well owners - Wells are the jurisdiction of the Santa Clara Valley Water District (SCVWD). Well installations and removals must be coordinated through them. Visit the SCVWD website to learn more.
As a courtesy to our customers who are interested in having an existing well removed, we provide links to the SCVWD’s Well Guidelines and Demolition Applications below. Please note that well documents are the property of the Santa Clara Valley Water District and may change without notice. To be sure you are reading the most up-to-date information, you should contact the SCVWD directly.
- SCVWD Guide for Private Well Owners.
- SCVWD Application for Well Destruction.
- SCVWD Permit Fee Calculation
The City of Palo Alto does require backflow prevention on all water services to any properties with wells. This will include any properties served or crossed by well service; even if the well is not at that property.
If you have any questions or concerns about whether you fall under the mandatory requirement to install backflow prevention devices, please feel free to call our staff at (650) 496-5926 or email us.