Foodware Packaging Reduction
The draft ordinance is proposing to ban the following items:
Plastic Beverage Plugs
What your business needs to know.
- Reusable - Reusable foodware items are items that were meant to be washed and reused many times.
- Disposable - Disposable foodware items are that were meant to be used only once and then discarded. These items can be recyclable, compostable, or landfill.
- Compostable - Compostable foodware items are items that are accepted in Palo Alto's compost program.
- Upon Request - Upon Request means offering foodware items to customers only if they ask for them or via a self-serve station.
Plastic utensils, straws, stirrers, drink plugs,and other small plastic foodware items.
Who is affected:
All food service establishments will be affected. This includes restaurants, bars, delis, grocery stores, food trucks, hotels, convenience stores —anyone serving food in Palo Alto.
What is required:
- Use only reusable or compostable utensils, straws, stirrers, drink plugs, and other small plastic foodware items.
- Compostable items must be acceptable in the City's compost collection program. Detailed list of acceptable materials
- Offer these disposable items (i.e., the compostable items) only upon request or via a self-serve station.
- Fall 2018 - Stakeholder feedback
- Winter 2018/2019 - Formulate ordinance
- Spring 2019 - Ordinance presented to City Council for approval
- Fall 2019 - Ordinance anticipated to take effect
Check out this Vox video. It does a good job explaining the problem and solutions to takeout waste.