Application for Release of Information
Requests for release of information are reviewed on a case by case basis to determine if they can be granted. The police department has 10 days to determine if the information can be released or not
Requests for Release of Information must be submitted verbally by phone or in person, or written. For your convenience you may view and download the "Application for Release of Information" Records Disclosure Form to assist you in making a focused request. Copies of this form are also available at the Records Unit Front Desk during normal business hours. You have the option of completing the downloaded form online for print or may choose to print the hard copy form to fill out in ink. You may choose to mail, fax or bring the completed form to the Records Unit of the Police Department anytime Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Our address and phone number are located on the top right corner of the "Application for Release of Information" Records Disclosure Form. Below are some further instructions for submitting the application via either of these methods:
- Mail request letter or Downloaded Form to the Palo Alto Police Department Attention: Records Unit at 275 Forest Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301. If you choose to send a written request not on our form, please include the Palo Alto PD Case Number, and/or date, time, location and type of incident that you are seeking. Also, please sign and date your request. For your convenience, you may download the Application for Release of Information Form.
- Please include a copy of your valid photo ID. (California Drivers License, California ID, or Passport).
- Please do not send cash. Please send a personal check, cashiers check, or money order for $13.00, payable to City of Palo Alto.
- Upon Records Disclosure, a Police Report will be mailed to you if and when the application is approved. Please include a phone number or email address in case we need to work with you further on your request.
In Person Option:
- Respond to the Records Unit Front Desk and ask for assistance and verbally express your request for Police Records Information or Police Report. We kindly ask if you would voluntarily fill out the Application for Release of Information – Records Disclosure Form so that we may obtain a focused and effective request. If you respond with the form already filled out, this may expedite your overall time here. Some service reports (non-criminal) in nature may be available for release here while you wait. Others must go through a Records Disclosure process that may take up to 10 working days.
- Please bring a valid photo ID. (California Drivers License, California ID, or Passport) A photo ID may be required to obtain certain Police Reports.
- We accept Cash, Visa or Master Card. Please make Personal check, Cashiers Check, money order for $13.00, payable to City of Palo Alto.
- As stated above, if activity and staffing levels permit, we will try to provide the report for you while you wait. If not, we can mail it to you.