Housing Element (2015 - 2023)
a Housing Element?
A Housing Element is a city’s primary planning document to address its housing needs for the future. Through goals, policies
State law requires that all jurisdictions adopt a Housing Element as part of their general or comprehensive plan. Each jurisdiction’s Housing Element must be updated every eight years and certified by the State.
Does Palo Alto have a Housing Element?
Yes. Palo Alto’s current Housing Element addresses housing needs for the period from 2015 to 2023. The City completed and adopted the 2015-2023 Housing Element on November 10, 2014. The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) certified the City's Housing Element on January 20, 2015.
Who was involved in the update process?
The adopted 2015-2023 Housing Element was the result of a close collaboration amongst the Housing Element Community Panel, Regional Housing Mandate Committee, the Planning, and Transportation Commission and the City Council.
Public participation was also a vital part of the Housing Element Update Process. The City held two community workshops on housing challenges and affordability in April 2014. The Housing Element Community Panel also held monthly public meetings to review the draft Housing Element and obtain community input.
Does the update address the City’s need for additional and affordable housing?
Yes. The State requires each jurisdiction to demonstrate
What is Palo Alto’s Regional Housing Needs Allocation?
On July 13, 2013, ABAG assigned Palo Alto an allocation of 1,988 additional housing units for the 2015-2023 Housing Element Update. These units are allocated in the following income categories to reflect local, regional and state housing needs.
City of Palo Alto RHNA (2015-2023)
Number of Units
Annual Element Progress Report
Each year the City of Palo Alto submits an element progress report to the Department of Housing and Community Development and the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) in Sacramento. Here are some of our most recent reports.
- 2015 Annual Element Progress Report
- 2016 Annual Element Progress Report
- 2017 Annual Element Progress Report
- 2018 Annual Element Progress Report
Want to learn more?
Please view our full Housing Element Update 2015-2023 or review these additional resources.
- 2015-2023 Housing Element Administrative Draft (clean)
- 2015-2023 Housing Element Administrative Draft (
- 2015-2023 Housing Element Administrative Draft (submitted to HCD 07/07/14)
- HCD Palo Alto Review Letter
- Complete Public Hearing Draft
- Final Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) Adopted
- Housing Opportunity Sites Tool v2.0
- DRAFT Housing Opportunity Sites Map v031214
- DRAFT Housing Opportunity Areas Map v031214
- Housing Element Community Panel Roster
- Housing Element & Comp Plan Updates: Timeline & Interaction
- 2007-2014 Housing Element Undeveloped Housing Inventory Sites
- Housing Impact Fees and Housing In-Lieu Fees
Long Range Planning