Community Development Block Grant
News Update- June 8th, 2020
- On May 5th, 2020 the Finance Committee considered the funding recommendations of the CDBG Sub Committee as well as the CARES Act additional funding at a public hearing. Additionally, the Finance Committee will also reviewed and provided comments on Draft 2020-2025 Consolidated Plan and Fiscal Year 2020-21 Annual Action Plan.
- A 30-day public review period on the draft Consolidated Plan 2020-2025 and the draft Action Plan FY 2020/21 begins May 8th through June 8th. An electronic copy of the Draft ConPlan and Annual Action Plan can be found under the 2020 - 2025 Draft Consolidated Plan section.
- The City Council will hold a public hearing on June 15, 2020 to adopt the 2020-25 ConPlan, 2020-21 Annual Action Plan. Details of the meeting and instructions on how to attend the meeting can be found by clicking the following link: City Council Meeting Notification
Applications were made available for the City of Palo Alto’s FY 2020-21 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) for Multi-Family Rehabilitation Projects and Public Facility Rehabilitation Projects only in November 2019.
Two Mandatory Pre-Proposal Conferences were held on November 18 and November 25, 2019 at the Civic Center - Community Meeting Room, First Floor, 250 Hamilton Avenue, Palo Alto, California.
The deadline to submit the applications was January 13, 2020.
2020 - 2025 Draft Consolidated Plan
The City of Palo Alto is an entitlement City that receives Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban and Development (HUD). HUD requires the City to create a five-year Consolidated Plan to direct and allocate CDBG funds. The draft 2020-2025 Consolidated Plan (ConPlan) is built on a community-oriented participatory process and will function as an application for federal funds under HUD’s CDBG program. The ConPlan will also outline specific goals and priority needs where CDBG funds will be allocated over the next five years.
Additionally, the draft ConPlan contains the 2020-2021 Annual Action Plan, which serves as an allocation of funds to specific projects and activities for the first fiscal year of the ConPlan.
A 30-day public review period on the draft Consolidated Plan 2020-2025 and the draft Action Plan FY 2020/21 begins May 8th through June 8th.
On June 15, 2020, the City Council will hold a public hearing to adopt 2020-2025 ConPlan and Annual Action Plan, this will be the final opportunity for community input.
You can download a copy of the 2020-2025 ConPlan and Annual Action Plan by clicking the following link:
2020-2025 Consolidated Plan and 2020-2021 Annual Action Plan
For comments, questions and more information, contact CDBG Staff Specialist, Erum Maqbool at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 650.329.2660
2015 - 2020 Consolidated Plan
The Consolidated Plan is a five-year strategic plan that includes an analysis of Palo Alto’s real estate market, affordable housing, and community development conditions. Specifically, the Consolidated Plan is designed to help entitlement grantees assess affordable housing and community development needs and develop goals and strategies that will address the identified needs.
The Consolidated Plan for 2015-2020 outlines the following five specific goals:
- Affordable Housing: Assist in the creation and preservation of affordable housing for low income and special needs households.
- Homelessness: Support activities to end homelessness.
- Strengthen Neighborhoods: Support activities that strengthen neighborhoods through the provision of community services and public improvements to benefit low income and special needs household.
- Fair Housing: Promote fair housing choice.
- Economic Development: Expand economic opportunities for low income households.
An Action Plan is prepared on an annual basis listing the activities that the City intends to undertake with CDBG funds. At the close of the fiscal year, a Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER), a federally mandated document, is prepared to document the City’s progress.
This CAPER represents the fourth year of the City’s Five-Year Consolidated plan covering the period 2015-2020, and covers the accomplishments under the CDBG program for the period from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019.
Want to Learn More?
Check out our FY 2019-2020 Final Annual Action Plan and FY 2017-18 Consolidated Annual Performance & Evaluation Report (CAPER) to learn more about City of Palo Alto's CDBG Program.
- FY 2019-2020 Final Annual Action Plan
- FY 2018-19 Consolidated Annual Performance & Evaluation Report (CAPER)
For general questions please contact Erum Maqbool.
Erum Maqbool, CDBG Staff Specialist