Please click here to go to the new location.
This summary provides a brief overview of the City of Palo Alto's Benefit Plans available to REGULAR employees (those regularly scheduled to work 20 hours or more per week). If there is a conflict between the information in this summary and the official plan/contracts, the official documents will determine how the plans work and the benefits they pay. The benefits described may be changed and terminated at the City's discretion.
Some employee groups have different benefits based upon negotiated Union Agreements. More specific compensation information may be found in the "Summary of Compensation" section located below.
The City of Palo Alto offers its employees a generous benefit package, featuring family medical coverage, retirement, life insurance, plus 12 paid holidays per year.
- Participation in a Governmental 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Fully paid employee and dependent Dental Plan
- Fully paid employee and dependent Vision Plan
- Fully paid Life and AD&D insurance equal to annual salary
- Flat Rate City paid medical contribution which may allow employees to select a fully paid health plan
- Fully paid Life Insurance equal to one-times annual salary
- Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability plan
- 12 annual paid holidays
- Two to five weeks vacation annually depending on years of service per MOA
- 96 hours annual sick leave
- Direct Deposit
- Flexible Spending Account for Healthcare and Childcare expenses
Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS)
- 2% at 60 formula for Classic Employees
- One-year final compensation for 2% at 60 employees
- 2% at 62 formula for New CalPers Members
- Three-year final compensation for 2% at 62 employees only
- Retiree Medical benefits for employee and dependents after 10 years of service
Please note: The City does not participate in CA State Disability Insurance (SDI) or Social Security. Since the City does not participate in SDI, City employees are not eligible to claim against the State’s Pregnancy Disability Leave or Paid Family Leave programs.