The Building Inspection Team provides excellent customer service by verifying minimum requirements to safeguard the public health, safety
Important Notice Regarding the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR)
On May 31, 2019 the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) will be disabled and you will no longer be able to utilize that system for inspection services. Options for online scheduling, rescheduling, canceling or status information can be done through the following methods:
- Accela Citizen Access (ACA)
- iRequest Mobile App – Download this app from your Google Play store or iTunes account to quickly view all Building or Fire permits, request single or multiple inspections, cancel or reschedule inspections and view inspection history all within a few clicks.
- Contact Us
- Inspection Guidelines
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System Allows you to schedule, re-schedule or cancel inspections.
- Building Permit Forms
- Emergency Call-Out Protocol
- After Hours or Weekend Request
The City endeavors to ensure all construction complies with all state accessibility requirements. We currently offer a courtesy pre-walk that identifies potential plan check deficiencies prior to plan submittal. For more information please contact Robert Dunbar at Robert.Dunbar@cityofpaloalto.org or view our Resources for Accessibility Information.
Emergency Call-Out Protocol
A building inspector will respond to electrical and gas emergencies once repairs have been completed by a licensed contractor. To reach a Building Inspector Specialist, dial (650) 329-2496 and press option 5 (during normal business hours). A Whole House Gas Test is required prior to gas meter release.
After Hours Inspection Requests
The normal work hours for inspectors are Monday through Friday 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Overtime inspection requests between 4:00 pm and 6:00 pm will be charged at 1.5 times the hourly rate. Overtime inspection requests between 6:00 PM and 6:00 AM on weekdays, or any requests for Saturday or Sunday inspections, will be charged at 2.0 times the hourly rate. There is a two-hour minimum for overtime inspection requests after 6:00 PM. If more than two hours are needed, an estimated time must be noted on the request and approved by the Chief Building Official.
To make a request, complete the Request for After Hours or Weekend Inspection Form and email it to AfterHoursInspections@CityofPaloAlto.org.
A 5-day advanced notice is required for all
Safety Bulletins and Advisories
The Building Division periodically offers training for inspectors and contractors dealing with all aspects of the building code. If you have any questions regarding the topic or have suggestions for future training topics please email Rhonda.Parkhurst@cityofpaloalto.org.
|Chief Building Official||George Hoyt||650-329-2368|
|Assistant Building Official||Evon Ballash||650-329-2223|
|Contract Inspector Supervisor||Korwyn Peck||650-329-2663|
|Building Inspector Specialist Electrical||Rhonda Parkhurst||650-329-2658|
|Building Inspector Specialist Accessibility||Robert Dunbar||650-329-2109|
|Building Inspector Specialist Plumbing/Mechanical||Kyle Shea||650-617-3507|
|Contract Building Inspector||Robert MacDonald||650-329-2245|
|Contract Building Inspector||Robert Mantia||650-617-3172|
|Contract Building Inspector||Liam Tierney||650-329-2303|
|Contract Building Inspector||Ed Fang||650-329-2381|
In an effort to streamline and simplify inspection requests the City offers a variety of tools to help our customers. Guidelines have been prepared for both residential and commercial projects to help customers understand inspection sequencing and requirements.
Click on the following links to view the Guidelines.
- Sequence of Inspections
- Schedule an Inspection IVR
- Special Inspection & Testing Agencies
- Construction Hours
- CPA Adoptive Ordinances
- Residential Inspection Guidelines
- Commercial Inspection Guidelines
- Tenant Improvement Inspection Guidelines
- Green Building Inspection Guidelines
- Electrical Inspection Guidelines
- Roofing Inspection Guidelines
- Foundation Inspection Guidelines
- Plumbing Fixture Replacement for Existing Single-Family Residential, Multifamily Residential and Commercial Buildings (SB 407)