Historic Buildings Downtown and Professorville

The photographs below depict selected Historic Inventory buildings located Downtown and in the Professorville Historic District.

University Avenue A view of the First Church of Christ, Scientist Entry to Casa Real
There are many Historic
Inventory buildings on
University Avenue including
the fine bank building on
the left (1906; Classical
Revival remodel 1928).

A view of the First Church

of Christ, Scientist,(1916), Laning Chateau (with dome, 1917), and Casa Real

(1930) on Forest Avenue after a storm.

 Entry to Casa Real

(1930)

 
Fraternal Hall Former Medico-Dental Building Cardinal Hotel
Fraternal Hall, High Street,
is listed on the National
Register (1898)
 
Former Medico-Dental
Building (1927) and other
large historic buildings on
Hamilton Avenue.
 
Cardinal Hotel,
Hamilton Avenue
(1924)
Terra cotta at the Cardinal Hotel Downing Block, an early post office First Church of Christ, Scientist
Terra cotta at the
Cardinal Hotel
(1924)
 
Downing Block, an
early post office,
Hamilton Avenue
(1909)
 
First Church of Christ,
Scientist, Forest
Avenue (1916)
Pacific Art League Building The Ramona Street Historic District Former Gotham Shop Building
Pacific Art League
Building, Ramona Street
(1926)
 
The Ramona Street
Historic District is listed
on the National Register
(1925-1928)
 
Former Gotham Shop
Building, Ramona Street
Historic District (1926)
Pedro deLemos Courtyard Tile at the Pedro deLemos Building Wrought iron
Pedro deLemos Courtyard,
Ramona Street Historic
District (1925)
 
Tile at the Pedro
deLemos Building,
Ramona Street Historic
District (1938)
 
Wrought iron, Ramona
Street Historic District
(1928)
The Downtown Post Office The Downtown Post Office Former Police and Fire Station
Entry to the Downtown
Post Office, Hamilton
Avenue (1932)
 
The Downtown Post Office
is listed on the National
Register (1932)
 
Former Police and Fire
Station, Bryant Street
(1927)
Entry to the former Police and Fire Station Charles W. Decker House Bell's Bookstore Building
Entry to the former Police
and Fire Station, Bryant
Street (1927)
 
Charles W. Decker House, Waverley Street (1894)
 
Bell's Bookstore Building,
Emerson Street (1924)
President Hotel Lobby staircase, President Hotel Varsity Theatre
President Hotel, University
Avenue (1929)
 
Lobby staircase, President
Hotel, University
Avenue (1929)
 
Varsity Theatre, University
Avenue (1927,
marquee,1936)
Stanford Theatre Box office vestibule Stanford Theatre box
Stanford Theatre, University
Avenue (1925, marquee,
1956)
 
Box office vestibule,
Stanford Theatre
(1925)
 
Classical medallion,
Stanford Theatre box
office vestibule
(1925)
Terra cotta Eave soffit Terra cotta
Terra cotta at the former
Gold Seal Creamery
Building, University
Avenue (1927)
 
Eave soffit, bank
building, University
Avenue (1906,
Classical Revival
remodel 1928)
 
Terra cotta, former auto
sales and service building,
Emerson Street (1924)
Terra cotta Former Hupmobile Homer Avenue
Terra cotta, former auto
sales and service building,
Emerson Street (1924)
 
Former Hupmobile sales
and service building,
Emerson Street (1924)
 
Homer Avenue historic
buildings (1905-1928)
Homer Avenue Colonial Revival Homer Avenue
Homer Avenue historic
buildings (1905-1928)
 
Colonial Revival house,
Homer Avenue (1906)
 
Homer Avenue historic buildings (1905-1928)
St. Michael's Alley Building Queen Anne and Colonial Revival Peninsula Creamery Dairy Store
St. Michael's Alley Building,
Emerson Street (1923)
 
Queen Anne and Colonial
Revival houses, Channing Avenue (1894-1905)
 
Peninsula Creamery Building, High Street (1946)
Peninsula Creamery Dairy Store Kipling Street Colonia Kipling Street Colonial
Peninsula Creamery Dairy
Store, High Street (1946)
 
Kipling Street Colonial
Revival houses
(1897-1902)
 
An inventive Kipling Street
Colonial Revival house
awaits restoration
(1900)
The Roth Building Williams House Williams Historic Garden
The Roth Building on Homer
Avenue will be rehabilitated
for the Palo Alto History
Museum (1932)
 
Williams House (1906)
and Historic Garden,
Homer Avenue (1930s)
 
Williams Historic
Garden (1930s)
Williams Historic Garden Williams Historic Garden Williams Historic Garden
Williams Historic Garden
(1930s)
 
Williams Historic Garden
(1930s)
 
Williams Historic Garden (1930s)
Williams Historic Garden Rear yard of the Williams House Doctor's path and office wing, Williams House
Williams Historic Garden
(1930s)
 
Rear yard of the Williams
House (1906)
 
Doctor's path and office
wing, Williams House
(1906)
Williams Historic Garden The T. B. Downing House Barn at the edge of Downtown
Williams Historic Garden
(1930s)
 
The T. B. Downing House
is listed on the National
Register (1894)
 
A little barn on the edge
of Downtown awaits
restoration, Encina Avenue
(ca. 1900)
Professorville
The Professorville Historic Distric Professor Frank Angell House Professor C. A. Copeland House
The Professorville Historic
District at the edge of
Downtown is listed on
the National Register. The
District was home to many 
of the original faculty of
Stanford University.
 
Professor Frank Angell
House (1893)
 
Professor C. A. Copeland
House (1901), and (beyond)
the Professors Edwin
and Chloe Starks House
(1903)
Craftsman Bungalow Street in Professorville Professor Nathan Abbott House
Craftsman Bungalow (1908). Brown shingled homes embedded in dense
vegetation are characteristic of the Professorville District.  
 
A characteristic street in Professorville.
 
Professor Nathan Abbott
House at the left (1901)
Professor Charles Benjamin Wing house Professor Leander Miller Hoskins house Miniature rock garden
Professor Charles Benjamin Wing House
seen through vegetation (1893)
 
Professor Leander Miller
Hoskins House (1903)
 
A miniature rock garden
adds charm to a
Professorville street.
Colonial Revival house Crafts,am bungalow Castilleja Hall
Colonial Revival house
with significant grounds
(1904)
 
Craftsman bungalow
built for Professor Bolton
C. Brown (1899)
 
Castilleja Hall, an early
location of Harker's School
and Castilleja School,
both still operating
(1892)
A mid-block service alley in Professorville A service alley showing a portion of Professorville's urban forest (late 19th century) A surviving carriage barn
A mid-block service
alley in Professorville
(late 19th century)
 
A service alley showing a
portion of Professorville's
urban forest (late 19th
century)
 
A surviving carriage
barn (ca. 1900)