The City of Palo Alto
250 Hamilton Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94301
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE 09/13/2010
Mitchell Park Library and Community Center Facilities under Construction Soon
Debra Jacobs, Project Engineer, Public Works Engineering 650-329-2482
Greg Smith, Construction Manager, Turner Construction 925-967-8009
Palo Alto, CA – Construction will begin later this month on Palo Alto's new Mitchell Park Library and Community Center facility being funded by the 2008 voter-approved library bond measure. Construction fencing was installed around the entire four acre site before school began, the planned tree removals will occur on Thursday, September 16, and the area will be closed to through traffic from September 2010 to July 2012.|
"When complete, this new 56,000 square foot joint-use facility will become a valuable asset for Palo Alto and really enhance our ability to learn, collaborate and enjoy leisure activities together," said Diane Jennings, Library Director. “Working with the community, the users, City staff and our consultants in the design of this library and community center from the ground up has been a truly remarkable experience.”
The contractor, Flintco, Inc., has started preparatory work on site and the project trailers will arrive on site on Tuesday, September 14. A project webcam is scheduled to be installed this month. A preconstruction photographic survey of the existing Community Center murals, neighboring properties, the project site, and trees on the site has been completed.
The trees in the 17 acres of Mitchell Park will not be impacted by the construction; however, on the four-acre site where the new facility will be built, 73 trees must be removed to make way for construction work and the buildings. Tree removal notices were tailored so that each notice gave the particular reason for removing that specific tree and was labeled with the number that corresponds to the tree removal matrix at www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=18886 and plan which have been on the library projects website since October 2009 at www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=17276
The tree removal notices were posted on Tuesday, August 10, re-posted on Tuesday, August 17, and then went up around the site on Tuesday, August 24. Tree notices are required to be in place for a minimum of 14 days before the trees are removed. After all of the planned tree removals have taken place, additional pruning of the remaining trees has been recommended by the arborists. This pruning will help the trees to better thrive in their changed environment and minimize the chance of accidental damage to limbs from construction activities. A project arborist will be overseeing all activities associated with the trees and all construction activities that may affect the trees.
Specific public outreach for the project was as follows:
- City Manager Press releases: February 22, 2010; October 12, 2009 and May 6, 2009
- Community Meetings: March 18, 2010; October 29, 2009 and May 19, 2009
- Review by the City Council, Architectural Review Board (ARB), Parks and Recreation Commission, and Public Art Commission
- City website: tree removal plans posted in October 2009; minor update on February 23, 2010
- ARB meeting notification, 600-foot radius mailings: September 3, 2009 and February 18, 2010
The Teen Center and the Mitchell Park Library have been moved to temporary locations. The Teen Center has moved to Rooms G6 and G7 of the Cubberley Community Center. The hours are from after school until 5:30 pm. The Mitchell Park Library has been moved to the former auditorium of the Cubberley Community Center at 4050 Middlefield Road.
The hours are:
- Monday, noon – 8 pm
- Tuesday, 10 am – 8 pm
- Wednesday, 10 am – 8 pm
- Thursday, noon – 8 pm
- Friday, 10 am – 6 pm
- Saturday, 10 am – 6 pm
- Sunday, 1 pm – 5 pm
Additional information is available at www.cityofpaloalto.org/libraryprojects
ADDITIONAL PROJECT INFORMATION
- Project: Mitchell Park Library & Community Center – new construction CIP PE-09006
- Location: 3700 Middlefield Road at Mayview Avenue
- Type of Work: deconstruction of existing facilities, construction of new 56,000 square foot library & community center, related site improvements, and intersection improvements
- Duration: September 2010 to July 2012
- Construction Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Contractor: Flintco, Inc.