Palo Alto, CA -- Palo Alto police, in conjunction with other Santa Clara County law enforcement agencies, will be participating in "Operation Safe Passage" starting May 10 through May 24, 2010. Palo Alto police participate in this special program three times a year in order to increase the safety of students commuting to and from school.
During "Operation Safe Passage," police will strictly enforce traffic violations in and around all local school zones during peak commute hours. They will focus on the following violations by both motorists as well as commuting students:
- Failing to stop for school buses with flashing stoplights
- Speeding vehicles
- Failing to yield to pedestrians
- Juvenile bicyclists without required helmets or not properly worn
- Seat belt and child restraint seat violations
- Cell phone or texting violations
- Stop sign violations
This is just a reminder for all commuters to slow down and exercise extra care in the school zones. Remember it is up to us, as a community, to ensure that our children stay safe!