Published on February 02, 2022
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas produced by burning fossil fuels and wood. In general, properly installed, maintained, and ventilated natural gas appliances produce very little to no CO. If not, these may release unsafe levels of CO into a home, which can be dangerous or fatal.
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Because CO is hard to detect, someone with mild poisoning may go to sleep and continue to breathe it until severe illness or death can occur. People may also mistake their symptoms for a viral infection like the flu.
If you suspect a problem with a gas appliance or meter, call the City of Palo Alto Utilities (CPAU) immediately at (650) 329-2579. We will dispatch a field service representative to conduct a thorough inspection.
Cook with induction or an electric stove rather than gas. Research from Stanford scientists find that the climate and health impacts of natural gas stoves are greater than previously thought and dangerous to the air you breathe in your home.
Last updated on June 24, 2022