Utilities FAQs

FAQ Header R1.png


How do I pay my bill?

I have a question about my bill. Who should I contact?

I haven't received my utility bill this month. What should I do?

I received a disconnection notice. Who should I contact?

Where can I find the current utilities rates?

How do I turn on, turn off, or change my account?

How do I read my own meter?

Does CPAU offer any medical or financial discounts and if so, who should I contact?

The City of Palo Alto Utilities offers the Rate Assistance Program (RAP) for income or medical qualifying residents who seek assistance with their utility bill costs. For other programs you may qualify for, visit our Financial Assistance page. 

I have questions and or feedback about MyCPAU. Who should I contact?

Visit our MyCPAU page, or call Customer Service Billing at (650) 329-2161 for further assistance. 


How can I save energy and water?

Contact Utilities Customer Service at (650) 329-2161, or visit our save energy and water page to learn more.

Who should I contact to get more information about the Residential Energy Assistance Program (REAP)?

Contact Utilities Program Services at (650) 329-2241 or visit our Residential Energy Assistance Program page.

Does CPAU have time-of-use or other special rates for charging electric vehicles?

At this time we do not have a current rate category for electric vehicle charging or time-of-use readings. For more information on EV charging, visit our Electric Vehicle page.

Outages and Safety

How do I report an electric outage?

To report a power outage, call: (650) 496-6914 or visit our Utilities Outages page.

How do I report a streetlight outage?

To report a streetlight outage, call (650) 496-6914 or visit our Utilities Outages page.

What should I do if I see a tree infringing on the overhead power lines?

To report trees contacting power lines, contact (650) 496-5953 or visit our Utilities Outages page.

To whom do I report a gas leak?

To report a gas leak, call (650) 329-2579 or visit our Utilities Outages page.

I want to report bad tasting/looking water. Who should I contact?

To report bad tasting/looking water, contact our Water Transmission Division at (650) 496-6967 or visit our Water Resources page.


How do I report an issue with my refuse collection?

Any issue or additional service requests can be made by calling GreenWaste, weekdays from 8am to 5pm by phone (650) 493-4894 or pacustomerservice@greenwaste.com.

I have hazardous items to drop off. Where does that go?

The City of Palo Alto provides an environmentally safe and convenient hazardous waste disposal for residents and small businesses. To learn where and what time to drop off, please visit our Hazardous Waste Program page or call Zero Waste at (650) 496-5910.

How can I learn what goes in which bin?

Zero Waste has provided a helpful guide and tool kit to help residents and small business learn what items go in which bin. Please visit the What Goes Where page to learn more, or call Zero Waste at (650) 496-5910.