South Palo Alto Bikeways Project
- Project typeTraffic and Transportation
The South Palo Alto Bikeways project consists of work on three corridors:
- Waverley Bike Path on Pall Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) land between East Meadow Drive and East Charleston Road
- East Meadow Drive between Alma Street and Fabian Way
- Fabian Way between East Meadow Drive and East Charleston Road
These corridors serve as key walk-and-roll routes for students traveling to multiple schools and will connect to the new Adobe Creek Pedestrian/Bike Bridge over Highway 101, opening Summer 2021.
Potential changes to the Waverley Bike Path may include widening of the path, repaving, and grading adjustments where feasible. Changes along East Meadow Drive and Fabian Way may include a protected and/or buffered bicycle facility that may require parking reconfiguration and/or lane reduction. The project is funded by a grant obtained by the City through the Vehicle Emissions Reductions Based at Schools (VERBS) program and requires that a bikeway with physical protection between bicyclists and vehicles be provided on a portion of the roadway corridors.
The South Palo Alto Bikeways survey is now closed. Thank you for sharing your feedback!
Scope of Work
- Improvements to the Waverley Bike Path to accommodate the high flows and varying speeds of bicyclists and pedestrians
- Protected and/or buffered bikeway along East Meadow Drive to accommodate peak school commute traffic volumes and improve bicyclists visibility and safety
- Protected and/or buffered bikeway along Fabian Way to provide an improved school commute route and improve bicyclists visibility and safety
City council received a project update and approved the multi-phase community engagement approach at its meeting on January 25, 2021.
After phase 1 community engagement was completed, the feedback was shared with Planning and Transportation Commission (PTC) in July 2021 and with City Council in August 2021.
- Community engagement
- Concept plan development
Meetings & Project Documents
The meetings are to share input and learn more about potential bikeway improvements under consideration.
- August 9, 2021 - City Council Meeting
- July 14, 2021 - Planning & Transportation Commission (PTC) Meeting
- June 22, 2021 - Engagement Summary
- May 27, 2021 - Virtual Route Tour #2
- May 22, 2021 - Virtual Route Tour #1
- May 13, 2021 - Introductory Webinar
- January 27, 2021 - Planning & Transportation Commission (PTC) Meeting
- January 25, 2021 - City Council Meeting