Southgate Residential Parking Permits
UPDATE ON PARKING ENFORCEMENT:
Parking enforcement (ticketing) has been paused in all commercial and residential parking districts since March 2020.
Enforcement will continue to be paused until September 30, 2021; it will resume on October 1, 2021 in all commercial and residential parking districts. Vehicles without valid permits will receive warning notices only, but no tickets/citations through September 30, 2021.
Exception: Enforcement for issues like parking during street-sweeping, blocking fire hydrants and red curbs, and any other violations prohibited by law is always in effect.
To preserve the value of your existing permit(s) the following modifications will take place:
- Six-Month Employee Permits expiring September 30, 2021, will be extended to December 31, 2021.
- Customers shall display previously-issued permits until the new expiration dates listed above - no further action is needed for the extension.
The Southgate Palo Alto Residential Preferential Parking (RPP) Program requires all residents to have a permit to park on the street for more than 2 hours between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. If you are a resident of the area, apply online to request a permit for your vehicles. (View Map)
Southgate residents may request:
- Up to 6 transferable hangtag permits per residential unit (first permit is free of charge, up to five additional at $50 each)
- Up to 50 daily visitor permits ($5) per year
Residents creating new accounts will be required to upload proof of residency (i.e. driver’s license & Palo Alto utility bill, lease, or mortgage statement etc.).
To obtain a Southgate RPP, please use the following directions:
- Visit https://duncan.imageenforcement.com/PermitSites/PaloAltoPermits and create an account with the required information
- Secure your login credentials by email
- Enter vehicle information
- Order your permits - Online permit renewal for residents will begin the following year
- Customer will be charged a service fee for each permit
- Submit program eligibility documentation
- If applicable, pay for permits
- Monitor inbox for order confirmation
On occasion, emails from the permit vendor will be directed to your spam/junk folder. Please check this folder if you do not receive a message in your inbox. Once your purchase is complete, the payment receipt (email) will serve as a temporary permit, valid 30 days after purchase. Please print and fully display, face-up until your order arrives by mail. Southgate RPP Permits are processed and shipped out of state, and we recommend ordering your permits in advance to avoid shipping delays.
If you are a resident of the area and interested in a parking permit, visit this link for the permitting website. For additional help, consult this Step by Step Duncan Permit Purchasing Guide or check out this FAQ. On occasion, permit emails will be directed to your spam/junk folder. Please check this folder if you do not receive a message in your inbox. For technical or fulfillment issues, please contact our permit vendor for assistance. You can reach Duncan Solutions at (866) 210-2417; please listen very carefully to the full list of menu options to reach the phone tree's permit section. You can also email Duncan at Onlineissues@DuncanSolutions.com.
If you have general questions on the RPP program, please contact the Office of Transportation by calling (650) 329-2520 or email Transportation@CityofPaloAlto.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I park for more than 2 hours with no permit?
No. Parking in the Southgate RPP Program Area without a permit for longer than two hours will result in a citation.
I'm a resident. Why do I need to pay for a permit?
The City Council Resolution explains the process and reasoning behind the Southgate RPP Program.
Where are permits displayed on vehicles?
Transferable hangtags or daily scratchers must be hung from the rearview mirror with the permit information visible from the exterior of the vehicle.
Note – Hanging your permit incorrectly shall invalidate your parking exemption.
Where can residents park with a permit?
Resident Parking Permits are valid anywhere with posted Southgate RPP parking restrictions.
Where do my guests park?
- Guests may park on street for less than 2 hours with no permit. There is no re-parking within the same zone once the two hours have elapsed.
- Residents may purchase up to 5 transferable visitor hangtags for $50 each and up to 50 daily visitor permits for $5 each. These visitor permits allow a guest vehicle to be parked on-street in the RPP district in excess of 2 hours.
Who provides enforcement?
Serco, Inc. has been contracted by the City to provide enforcement services for the Southgate RPP Program. Serco, Inc. employees wear uniforms with identification, and you may see them walking, biking, or driving throughout the Southgate RPP Program area.
Are the regulations enforced on holidays?
No, parking restrictions are not enforced on regular City holidays or on weekends.
I got an RPP citation. What do I do?
Follow the instructions on the RPP citation to pay a citation. If you do not have the instructions available, call 650-814-4501 for assistance.