Southgate Employer & Employee Parking

UPDATE IN PROGRESS: Please contact us at if you have any trouble finding the information you’re looking for.


Southgate RPP Program

The Southgate Palo Alto Residential Preferential Parking (RPP) Program requires all employers and employees to have a permit to park on the street for more than 2 hours between the hours of 8 AM and 6 PM, Monday through Friday.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can employees park?

Employees may park in the Southgate Parking Zone for which their permit is valid.

Can I park for more than 2 hours with no permit?

In RPP Districts with a time limit for non-permitted vehicles, vehicles not displaying a valid permit may park up to the posted time limit during the period designated by posted signage. After the maximum time limit period, vehicles will be prohibited from re-parking within the same district.

Parking in any RPP district for longer than 2 hours with no permit will result in a citation.

I want to buy a permit for a zone that's sold out. What do I do?

There are a limited number of employee permits available for sale in each zone. If the permits have been sold out, select a different zone.

How much are employee permits?

Employee Parking Permit fees are set by the City’s Municipal Fee Schedule. Please email for rates.

How do I get an RPP permit?

Permits are sold online only via the City’s parking website. Log into an existing account or set up a new account there.

For assistance with obtaining a permit, the City has customer service staff available on-site at the City Hall Revenue Collections counter, 250 Hamilton Avenue, Ground Floor, Palo Alto, CA 94301. Revenue Collections hours are 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays, except holidays.

What are the Southgate RPP regulation days and times?

The parking restrictions are enforced Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (City holidays are exempt). Please refer to the City calendar for observed holidays.

I usually take the train (carpool, bike, etc.) to work but need to drive and park occasionally. What are my options?

Rather than purchasing an annual permit, employees may purchase up to four (4) daily parking scratchers per month for $25 each. Daily permits are not purchased for a specific zone. Rather, the employee will purchase a daily permit and a zone-specific permit will be selected at random and mailed. The employee may only use that permit within the zone designated on the permit.

Who provides enforcement?

Serco, Inc. has been contracted by the City to provide enforcement services for the Southgate RPP Program area. Serco, Inc. employees wear uniforms with identification, and you may see them walking, biking or driving throughout the Southgate RPP Program area.

Does having a permit guarantee a space?

Although there is a cap on the number of Employee Parking Permits sold within the Southgate RPP Program area, the purchase of an RPP permit does not guarantee an on-street parking space.

Is my permit valid in the City lots and garages, regular two-hour parking spaces or other time-restricted parking spaces?

RPP permits are only valid in areas designated by RPP parking restrictions (green two-hour parking signs noting ‘Permits Exempt’ and specifying an RPP zone). RPP permits are not valid in City lots or garages, or in any other time-restricted spaces.

Why did I have to print a Temporary Parking Permit?

All Phase 2 RPP permits are physical permits, and are either a decal or a hangtag. For your use until the permit arrives by mail, a temporary parking permit is available to be printed at the time of sale. If you have difficulty printing your permit, please contact customer service at or call 650-440-8074.

Are the regulations enforced on holidays?

No, parking restrictions are not enforced on regular City holidays or on weekends. Please refer to the City calendar for observed holidays.

I got an RPP citation. What do I do?

Follow the instructions on the RPP citation to pay or appeal the citation. If you do not have the instructions available, call 650-814-4501 for assistance.

I have a new car. How do I get a replacement permit?

For a temporary replacement permit, please contact customer service at or call 650-440-8074.

How do I get a refund for my permit?

Refunds are issued for annual permits only. A refund of the unused portion will be given only through the third quarter prorated at the quarterly rate. Remove permit from vehicle (pieces are accepted) and turn in with the information of the party to receive the refund to Revenue Collections located at Palo Alto City Hall, 250 Hamilton Ave., 1st Floor. Refunds are calculated from the date the permit is surrendered to Revenue Collections.