Hand excavation of a street tree to evaluate root health.
Staff installing native plants in bioretention planter at Southgate neighborhood.
Products available for reuse at the Household Hazardous Waste Station.
Major street restoration after a water main failure.
Keeping bike paths and the environment clean is a Public Works priority.
Newly constructed parking garage serving Cal Ave visitors.
The Public Works Department's mission is to provide quality services with commitment, courtesy, and pride. In partnership with the Palo Alto community, we strive to offer efficient, cost-effective and environmentally responsible services that make Palo Alto a beautiful, vibrant and appealing City in which to live and work.
Accredited by the American Public Works Association in 2015 and reaccredited in 2019, Palo Alto’s Public Works Department is the first agency to achieve this distinction in Silicon Valley.
View Public Works Meetings & Events
- Palo Alto Airport Operations
- Construction & Maintenance of Public Facilities
- Street and Sidewalk Maintenance
- Approval of Construction Work Done in the City Right-Of-way
- Administration of the National Flood Insurance Program
- Storm Drain Maintenance
- Implementation of Citywide Sustainability Initiatives
- Waste Management and Recycling
- Administration and Operation of the Regional Water Quality Control Plant
- Oversight of the City's Urban Forest
- Maintenance of City Fleet