Street sweeping keeps our community clean and safe by removing the dirt, metals, petroleum products, garbage, and vegetation that regularly collect on our streets and paths. Removing these materials is important because they could end up in our storm drains and eventually into our creeks and the San Francisco Bay. Keeping the storm drains clear not only helps to reduce pollution, but also reduces the likelihood of flooding during heavy rain.
Palo Alto streets are being swept bi-weekly as of February 13, 2023. Weekly sweeping will resume approximately October 16, 2023, but this date is subject to change based on observed leaf fall.
Street sweepers cannot pick up large pieces or piles. To ensure a clean street:
- Do not pile leaves or other debris in the street or gutter.
- Do not rake, sweep, blow leaves or other debris in the street or gutter.
- Keep palm fronds, long twigs and branches out of the street or gutter.
- Pick up litter in front of your home or business.
- Park your vehicles off the street on your designated sweep day.
- Prune trees and shrubs so that they do not block the street sweepers from reaching the curb line.
- During rains, prevent flooding by raking leaves off storm drain grates.
Street Sweeping Schedule
Palo Alto’s residential and light commercial street sweeping schedule changes from weekly during leaf season (mid-October to mid-February) to every other week during non-leaf season. The exact date of service changes will be based on the observed leaf fall.
||2022 - 2023 Schedule
(every other week sweeping)
Started on February 13, 2023 and is tentatively scheduled to end on October 16, 2023.
Begins October 16, 2023 and is tentatively scheduled to end on February 12, 2024.