Airport Apron Reconstruction Project
- Project typeAirport Apron, Runways, and Taxiways
- Project value$44,573,110
The Palo Alto Airport (PAO) is a general aviation field owned and operated by the City of Palo Alto. Located within a half mile of Highway 101. The project provides funds for the design and reconstruction of the PAO apron. The Apron project has 3 phases within the existing footprint. Design commenced in 2016 and completed in 2017. Construction began in 2018 and expected to be complete in 2021. Construction of Phase I was complete in June 2018. Construction of Phase II began in December 2018 and expected to be complete in Fall of 2019. The City awarded the contract to DeSilva Gates Construction LP.
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grants will fund 90% of design and construction costs. Airport staff will pursue other funding opportunities to offset the remaining 10%. The FAA utilizes the average apron Pavement Condition Index (PCI) to rank airport grant applications. The airport staff anticipates a high rank in eligibility for grant funding given the PAO infrastructure.
Scope of Work
The Airport Apron Reconstruction project is a three-phase project. The pavement surfaces at the airport are failing and uneven. The City conducted a Pavement Management Study in Fiscal Year 2015 to determine PCI and to assist in prioritization of pavement improvement projects. The need to reconstruct the aircraft parking apron is critical to airport safety. Based on visual inspection, using the PCI criteria, the average apron PCI value is 36, which indicates a need for a full pavement reconstruction.
1925 Embarcadero Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303 View Map
Construction Phase I
Construction Phase II
Construction Phase III
Construction to begin in 2021.