Bowling Green Park

2-acre park features a lawn bowling green and a club house for members.  Outside the ivy-covered fence,  an open grassy area welcomes active and passive enjoyment.

History

Constructed in 1933-34 by the Civil Works Administration, the Lawn Bowling Green sits on the site of the old Peninsula Hospital (built in 1910 and razed in 1931).  On opening day, March 10, 1935, ceremonial bowls were rolled by Virginia Arnott, club president; Earl C. Thomas, mayor of Palo Alto; and John McLaren, superintendent of Golden Gate Park who aided in the planning of Palo Alto’s green. 

Of Special Interst

The Palo Alto Lawn Bowls Club, in existence since 1933, offers draw games, friendship games, annual matches with Berkeley (for the Meat Axe trophy) and with San Francisco (Cable Car Classic). Club members provide free instruction and welcome visitors and new members of all ages.  For more information on lawn bowling, please visit Palo Alto Lawn Bowls Club.

Location

474 Embarcadero Road, Palo Alto, CA 94301  View Map

Google Map