2.08.100 Holidays and other special days:
(a) Regular Holidays. The following days are declared as holidays on which municipal business of the city shall be suspended:
- Every Saturday and Sunday;
- New Year's Day, January 1;
- Martin Luther King Day, the third Monday in January;
- Washington's Birthday, the third Monday in February;
- Memorial Day, the last Monday in May;
- Independence Day, July 4;
- Labor Day, the first Monday in September;
- Columbus Day, the second Monday in October;
- Veterans Day, November 11;
- Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November, and the day following;
- Christmas Day, December 25.
In the event that any of the aforementioned days, except Sunday itself, falls on Sunday, the following Monday shall be considered a holiday. In the event that any of the aforementioned days, except Saturday itself, falls on Saturday, the preceding Friday shall be considered a holiday.
(b) Other Special Days. The mayor may proclaim a day or any portion thereof as a holiday, a day of mourning, or other similar special day for the observation or commemoration of a noteworthy public event, provided that municipal business shall not be suspended on such day or portion thereof, unless the mayor's proclamation so states.