The Mitchell Park Library opened in 1958 following a voter approved bond measure that also funded the construction of the Main Library. The library was 9,478 square feet. Located in a neighborhood with several schools, it is used heavily by students after school. An independent consultant determined that to meet the needs of the service area, the Mitchell Park Library should be three times larger and have a collection twice the size.
The Mitchell Park Community Center, built in 1967, was 10,400 square feet. It provided daily adult exercise classes, art classes for all ages, an after school teen center, and a center for youth leadership groups.
Several options were evaluated for improving these facilities. The City Council determined that the best solution is to replace both facilities with a new joint Mitchell Park library and community center built on the parking lot on south side of the current community center. Parking for the new joint facility will be where the library and adjacent parking are now located. The library will be approximately 41,000 square feet housed in two-stories adjacent to Middlefield Road. The 15,000 square foot single story community center, on the park side of the site, will surround a courtyard to preserve a heritage coast live oak tree.
Features of the proposed design for the new Mitchell Park Library & Community Center: