Main Library is now closed for major renovations. In May, 2013, Temporary Main Library opened in the Art Center Auditorium, at 1315 Newell Road. Temporary Main Library has a large collection of leased best sellers and non-fiction books sponsored by a generous grant from the Friends of the Palo Alto Library.
Main Library will be closed for construction for approximately eighteen months and during the remodel Downtown Library and College Terrace Library will have extended hours to help meet customers’ needs.
The project incorporates upgrades to the historic building’s structural, electrical and mechanical systems while preserving the integrity of architect Edwards Durrell Stone’s iconic design. The renovation includes new additions to the existing building in order to accommodate a new program room for the library, group study rooms and new public restrooms. The project targets Leadership in Energy Efficient Design (LEED) certification.
The Main Library, designed by Edward Durell Stone, opened in 1958 following a voter approved bond measure that also funded the construction of the Mitchell Park Library. The library is located on Newell Road across from the Palo Alto Art Center. The building is 26,313 square feet, including a 5,000 square foot basement. This library has the largest collection in the system, including the principal reference collection and the archives of the Palo Alto Historical Association. It serves primarily adults and teens and has a very small children’s collection. The Library is open 62 hours per week.
While the building has received small remodels over the years, it needs a total renovation to bring it up to current codes and standards and to provide needed spaces to accommodate needs of its users. The building lacks any community or group study spaces, resulting in limited programming and the inability for groups to work together on projects without disturbing other users. The existing lighting system provides insufficient illumination for a library – a recent building analysis determined that the luminous ceiling has significantly degraded and transmits only 8%-11% of the light through the panels. Poor lighting is a source of many complaints. The building is heated by hot water from a boiler in the Cultural Center, and there is no air-conditioning. Find out more about the Main Library building in the Historic Structure Report.
Features of the proposed design for the renovation:
Total renovation to bring building up to current codes and standards.
New wing off of south entrance with meeting room seating 100 and additional restrooms
4 small group study rooms off the ends of the reading room
Dedicated room for teens
Upgraded electrical systems to support use of technology
New mechanical systems, including radiant heating and cooling system in the floor
New carpet and paint
Tree Removals Required:
A total of 26 trees will be removed during the Main Library Expansion and Renovation Project. Additionally, 4 existing trees were relocated within the site. During the project 31 new trees will be planted along with new landscape and site improvements. Currently, there are approximately 175 trees within the proposed project area around the Main Library. The entire property that includes the Art Center and community garden area has over 400 trees.
Some trees on the site were removed due to poor health or due to conflicts with other neighboring trees that will remain. Significant removals for safety reasons include 2 stone pine trees (#52 and #54) near the community garden area. These 2 trees and 3 others (#149, #162, and #164) were recommended for removal ASAP regardless of a project. Tree #172 was removed because it conflicted with the proposed geothermal wells and piping.