The submissions from the three Adobe Creek Pedestrian and Cyclist Bridge Design Competition finalists are in. Click on the images below for more information and a video on each project, and to leave comments on each design proposal.
Submission A Submission B Submission C
The Design Competition is Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2014 at 4 p.m. at Palo Alto City Council Chambers.
American Institute of Architects California Council will be managing a design competition in coordination with the City of Palo Alto.
Design Competition Information
Following a review session on Nov. 1, 2014 of qualifications & statements of interest from 20 design teams for the Adobe Creek Pedestrian and Cyclist Bridge, a five member jury chose the following teams to move to Phase 2 of the design process:
• Endrestudio, OLIN, SBP and Biohabitats
• HNTB Engineering, 64North, Bionic Landscape Architecture, Ned Kahn
• Moffatt and Nichol, Steven Grover and Associates, Lutsko Associates, JIRI Strasky, Mark Thomas and Co.
The City of Palo Alto wishes to express its gratitude to all those who submitted entries.
Design Competition Press Release
Design Competition InstructionsDesign Competition JuryPlease click on the links below to read juror bios. Additional jurors will be added.
Jury Chairwoman - Judith WassermanSteve Burrows
Cathy Deino BlakeSusan Chin
Sam LubellAs the design competition gets underway, here are the key dates to keep in mind: September 2014
- Invitations will be sent to architectural/engineering firms, Sept. 23-29, 2014
- The City will accept Statement of Interest from design firms, Sept. 30-Oct. 27, 2014
- Selection of jurors and Technical Advisory Panel (TAP), Sept. 9-29, 2014
- Jurors will review and select three proposals, Nov. 1, 2014
- All youth Bridge Art Showcase submissions are due, Nov. 3, 2014
- Design firms have 23 days to develop concepts, Nov. 5-Dec. 5, 2014
- Design concepts will be posted on the City’s website and in local newspapers, Dec. 10, 2014
- Designs are on display at the Mitchell Park Library, 3700 Middlefield Road, Dec. 10-16, 2014
- Joint jury and ARB meeting will take place to rank design concepts, Dec. 17, 2014
- Planning and Transportation Commission meeting, Jan. 14, 2015
- Parks and Recreation Commission meeting, Jan. 27, 2015
Youth Bridge Art Showcase
- City Council meeting to present jury findings and rankings, Feb. 9, 2015
- City Council recognizes youth artwork, Feb. 9, 2015
In conjunction with the competition, the city is inviting young artists and designers to be a part of the process by creating posters and/or models of a Highway 101 bridge that represents their vision of Palo Alto. Children and teenagers from kindergarten to high school are invited to submit their creations, which will be displayed on the City of Palo Alto's website leading up to the competition. Project Ideas:
The youth artist or designer may choose to include the following design inspirations:
1. Park Bridge
i. Emphasis on landscaping, wildlife habitat, and natural materials.
ii. Potential vision for bridge as "an extension of the Baylands across the highway into the City."
2. Signature Gateway Bridge
i. Emphasis on verticality, iconic form, and contrast with nature.
3. Post-Modern Bridge
i. Emphasis on sharp or irregular shapes/forms, enclosure.
i. Creative and imaginative ideas
1. visual and aesthetic impacts: viewing platforms, integrated slopes, spires or other vertical elements, solar panels, modern arch or cable systems, sculpture columns, and others. Specifications
Posters and models are acceptable. Posters sized 11" x 17" are recommended. Participants:
By entering your work, you are certifying that this is your original work and give the City permission to publicize your work for the Highway 101 Pedestrian/Bicycle Overcrossing design project. Work is due on or before Nov. 3, 2014. Work can be dropped off at one of two locations:
Relevant Information Project Update July, August and September 2014 City Council Meeting
- City Hall, 7th floor, 250 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto - Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Palo Alto Art Center, 1313 Newell Road, Palo Alto - Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- September 8, 2014 (Draft design guidelines, Attachment C, are included in this Council report) Architectural Review Board Meeting
- September 4, 2014 Park and Recreation Commission Meeting
- August 26, 2014 Architectural Review Board Meeting
- August 7, 2014 Project Update February 2013
Architectural Review Board Meeting - February 21, 2013 Architectural Review Board Meeting Staff Report Presentation Project Update December 2012
Planning & Transportation Commission Meeting - December 12, 2012 Planning & Transportation Agenda Staff Report Presentation Project Update November 2012
At the public meeting last month held at Palo Verde Elementary School, the City of Palo Alto had submitted a grant request to the County of Santa Clara for nearly $6 million in recreational trail improvements, including $4 million for the design and construction of the Highway 101 Overcrossing at Adobe Creek.
Please be advised that the Santa Clara County public hearing for the Santa Clara Alternative Recreation Grant, originally scheduled for October 9th has been postponed until November 20th. Agendas for the Board of Supervisor's meeting can be found at: http://sccgov.iqm2.com/Citizens/Default.aspx
. As information becomes available, updates will be posted to the website.
In addition, the environmental scoping public comment period has been extended to October 25, 2012
. Click here
to view the Notice of Preparation. Project Update
Council accepted the Highway 101 Over/Undercrossing Feasibility Study on November 2011, which recommended an overcrossing at Adobe Creek. Click here for staff report. In June 2012, Council approved a contract amendment with Alta Planning + Design to advance the preliminary design and environmental assessment review of this alternative. A Community Scoping Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 18, 2012
where City and Consultant staff will describe the bridge alignment and trail connection alternatives under consideration, and discuss the scope of the project's environmental assessment. A preferred design will be chosen at the end of an architectural design competition planned for 2013. Community Scoping Meeting
Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 6:30pm
Palo Verde Elementary School
3450 Louis Road, Palo Alto, CA Click here
to watch video of Community Meeting Click here
for the presentation Click here
for the postcard invitation
On August 28, 2012, Parks and Recreation Commission provided comments and feedback on the conceptual alignments and approach options. Click here
to view final draft of the Highway 101 Over/Undercrossing Feasibility Study. Click here
Examples of Pedestrian/Bicycle in the Bay Area.
For more information please email: email@example.com
or call Elizabeth Ames at 650.329.2502 or Holly Boyd at 650.329.2612. Project Information on Previous Meetings Planning & Transportation Commission Meeting Date:
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 Time:
6:00 PM Place:
270 Forest Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301 Joint Community Meeting
Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation Plan and Highway 101 Pedestrian/Bicycle Crossing Feasibility Study Public Open House. Date:
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 Time:
6:30-8:30 PM Place:
Council Chambers, City Hall
250 Hamilton Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301
- Community Meeting Presentation
- Summary of Community Meeting Comments
This public meeting will be an opportunity for all interested parties to provide input on the project, programs and areas most important to improving walking and biking conditions in Palo Alto. At the meeting, Staff will review the Draft Report of the Palo Alto Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation Plan and provide an update on the Highway 101 Pedestrian/Bicycle Crossing Feasibility Study with an emphasis in the vicinity of Adobe Creek.
The next public meeting for the Highway 101 Pedestrian/Bicycle Crossing Feasibility Study is tentatively scheduled with the Planning and Transportation Commission on August 31, 2011
. The City looks forward to your participation and feedback. Please provide any comments by August 19, 2011
in preparation for the Planning and Transportation Commission meeting. Click here
to view the draft Highway 101 Over/Undercrossing Feasibility Study.
This project will conduct a feasibility study for a year-round pedestrian/bicycle grade separated crossing of Highway 101 in Palo Alto to provide connectivity from residential and commercial areas in south Palo Alto to the Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve, East Bayshore and San Antonio businesses and the regional Bay Trail network of bike trails. The project will be located in Palo Alto in the Highway 101 corridor north of the San Antonio Road interchange.
The City of Palo Alto held a community meeting on Wednesday, September 1, 2010. The meeting was held at Palo Verde Elementary School, 3450 Louis Road, Palo Alto, CA at 6:30pm. For further details regarding the recent meeting please click on the links below;
For more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or call Project Manager: Elizabeth Ames at 650.329.2502 or Project Engineer: Hung Nguyen at 650.329.2548.
Last Updated: Dec 10, 2014