One of the benefits of purchasing or leasing an Electric Vehicle (EV) is being able to charge your vehicle at the convenience of your home. Studies show that 80% of actual charging of EVs occurs at home.
Residents in Palo Alto must obtain a permit from The City of Palo Alto before installing an EV Charger.
Follow these steps to install an EV Charger at home:
- City Requirements: Review CPAU's Checklist of Requirements for Residential EV Charger Installation.
- Vehicle Specific Needs: Ask your EV manufacturer what type and level of charger you will need to charge your vehicle and whether there are any associated regulatory requirements.
- Get a Permit: Before installing any residential charging system, apply for a permit from the City of Palo Alto. Submit a permit application, including all building and electrical plans for the installation.
- Licensed Contractor: Be sure to use a licensed electrical contractor. The contractor must follow guidelines specified by the EV manufacturer and the requirements outlined in the City of Palo Alto building codes.
- General EV or EV Charger Questions: Please contact Utilities Program Services at (650) 329-2241 - Permit Related Questions: Please contact Development Services at (650) 329-2496 - Utility Service Upgrade questions: Please contact Utilities Electrical Engineering at (650) 566-4500
___________________________________ DOCUMENT CENTER ____________________________________