Storm Water Management Program
Welcome to the Department of Public Works Storm Drain Management Program website. This program is responsible for the approval, construction, and maintenance of the storm drain system in Palo Alto. Follow the links on this page to learn more about our programs and services.
- A Citizen’s Storm Drain Committee, appointed by the City Manager, completed its deliberations on September 7, 2004 and delivered its recommendations on the need for capital improvements and enhanced maintenance of Palo Alto’s storm drainage system to City Manager Frank Benest.
- Palo Alto has installed creek monitoring devices. These devices constantly feed back creek level information. The images generated from this data can be monitored by residents.
- If you notice any unusual substance in or around a storm drain, or if you see someone dumping anything into the storm drain, street, or gutter, to local creeks or the Bay, or elsewhere in the outdoor environment, don't wait! Go to the Reporting Spills, Back-Ups, or Dumping page for more information.
- The San Francisquito Creek Bank Stabilization Master Plan is intended to assist agencies and landowners' consultants in the planning, conceptual design and permitting of San Francisquito Creek bank stabilization and revegetation projects.
- In order to address community concerns regarding flooding and environmental preservation on San Francisquito Creek, the City of Palo Alto has worked with neighboring jurisdictions to create the San Francisquito Creek Joint Powers Authority.
Urban Runoff Management Plan for the City of Palo Alto, submitted to the Regional Water Quality Control Board in September 2004
Revision Date: 9/17/2008
Informational utility bill insert on the proposed storm water management fee ballot measure
Revision Date: 2/10/2017
Storm Water Management Fee background information and frequently asked questions.
Revision Date: 2/28/2017
The Urban Runoff Program Annual Report highlights efforts to control the sources of storm water pollution from industry, commercial and residential sources.
Revision Date: 9/13/2010
This linked page contains local and off-site web links to provide assistance in designing projects that meet required stormwater quality standards.
Revision Date: 6/9/2007
Last Updated: Oct 3, 2017