Planned Community PC Zoning Reform
Planning &Transportation Commission Meeting
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 @ 6PM
City Council Chambers.
On March 11, 2015 the Planning and Transportation Commission will reopen the continued public hearing to review and recommend adoption of a draft ordinance.
The following serves to highlight some of the major tasks, and target dates, related to PC Reform:
- Identification of issues with PC process and conduct research- March-June 2014
- Release of Staff Summary Report- August 2014
- Planning and Transportation Commission Study Session- August 13, 2014
- City Council Study Session- October 6, 2014
- Planning and Transportation Commission Meeting- February 11, 2015
- Ordinance to City Council - Spring 2015
- Ordinance Adoption- Spring 2015
During the City Council December 2, 2013 “Future of our City” discussion the PC Process and the need for possible reforms to the requirements and process was discussed. The study session provided an opportunity for public input, questions and comments regarding land use and development issues in the City. One of the questions posed by staff was: “How should we re-examine the Planned Community (PC) process and address the community’s concerns about the exchange of new development entitlements of public benefits.”
Staff identified the relationship between this effort and the Comprehensive Plan update. Moreover, staff stated that refinements can range from overall reform of the ordinance to minor adjustments, such as a revision that would specifically define the types of projects that may apply for a PC district. As a prelude to any revision process, the City Manager recommended that all current PC projects under consideration be put on hold for a sufficient period of time to allow for a comprehensive review of the ordinance and the development of recommended revisions to be considered by the Planning and Transportation Commission and the City Council.
While no formal action was taken by Council, Staff agreed to bring action items back to the City Council for direction related to the issued discussed.
On February 3, 2014 the City Council received a staff presentation regarding the PC Planned Community District and requested that Council consider placing a "time-out" on PC projects to allow an examination of the potential alternatives and reforms to the existing process. the report included a brief history of PC districts, the PC rezoning procedures, information on one pipeline project, and possible alternatives/reforms to the PC process.
After receiving public comment and discussing the need for a "time-out", the City Council voted to accept Staff's recommendation to:
- Defer requests for rezoning to the Planned Community (PC) zoning district until the process and requirements regulation the PC zone in Chapter 18.38 of the Municipal Code are revised, and
Direct Staff to return the Council with an analysis of potential revisions and alternatives to the PC zone for public input and discussion.
- PC Reform Fact Sheet
- PC Reform Summary Report
- October 6, 2014 – City Council Staff Report
- August 13, 2014- Planning Commission Staff Report
- February 3, 2014 - City Council Staff Report
- February 3, 2014 - Action Minutes
- December 2, 2013 - City Council Staff Report
- December 2, 2013 - City Council Minutes
- PC Planned Community District Regulations (Chapter 18.38 of the PAMC)
Last Updated: Oct 3, 2017