The Cubberley Artist Studio Program (CASP) supports the vitality of the arts in Palo Alto by providing City-sponsored, affordable studio space for artists, building creative community and fostering public engagement with the arts and artists.
VISION AND PROGRAM GOALS
• Create an artist community that fosters diverse and numerous opportunities for growth and collaboration in the creation of new work.
• Ensure the representation of a wide range of experience in terms of artistic disciplines, artistic development, as well as diverse cultural and aesthetic approaches.
• Create a dynamic and accessible cultural destination for the community, with economic value for the resident artists.
• Foster active engagement with and visibility with the Palo Alto and surrounding communities.
• Continue to increase the prestigious and competitive reputation of the program. Ensure that the program is accessible, open, inclusive, equitable, and responsive to the community need for studio space.
Open Door Archive Mixed Media Writing Practice with Lessa Bouchard CASP ArtLab, U7 Saturdays, April 15 - May 13, 2017 -- An opportunity to exercise your creative juices! A series of short timed writings (5-10 min, 15 min, 20 min.) based on writing prompts, with a goal of creative writing practice. No judgments, no censorship, just write. Group sharing allowed, not required.
"Metamorphosis: Young People and the Journey of Immigration" and event with artist Robin Lasser CASP ArtLab, U7 June 1 - 12, 2017 -- Co-curated by CASP artist Barbara Boissevain, this exhibition will feature artwork from high school students responding to ideas of Islamophobia.
CASP ARTIST EXHIBITIONS
Mel Day -- Wall of Song, with Michael Namkung January - April 2017
Pantea Karimi -- Kala Art Institute Pantea is currently in a 6-month Fellowship Residency at Kala Art Institute in Berkeley. Her residency focuses on medieval medicinal botany from 12th century Andalucia. KALA Art Institute, GALLERY, 2990 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94702 Exhibition: April 6 – April 22, 2017 Preview Party: Thursday, April 6, 6–9pm, Free Admission, Silent auction opens Gala Auction: Saturday, April 22, 6-7pm (VIP), 7-10pm (General Admission)
Pantea Karimi -- L.A.S.T Festival Shelf Garden, a site-specific installation, will be on display as part of the 4th annual L.A.S.T. Festival Hammer Theater: 101 Paseo De San Antonio, San Jose, CA 95113 Opening Reception, free and open to public: April 7, 6 - 8 pm Exhibition, free and open to public: April 8, 10 am - 4:30 pm & 6-8 pm VIP Only Viewing: April 8, 5 - 6 pm Artists Party: April 8, 8 -1 0 pm
Pantea Karimi -- Artist Talk, LASER Talk series at UC Berkeley UC Berkeley, Soda Hall, Room 405 April 13, 8:35-9:00 PM
RETROFIT -- feat. artwork from CASP artists, curated by Marianne Lettiri and Mel Day Telegraph Hill Gallery 491 Greenwich Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 RETROFIT 1.0 runs May 20-June 17 RETROFIT 2.0 runs June 24-July 22
Catherine di Napoli -- Ecstasy Unbound: A New Exhibition of Works by di Napoli diPetro Todd - Pacific Heights July 1 - September 30, 2017