The Cubberley Artist Studio Program (CASP) supports the vitality of the arts in Palo Alto by providing City-sponsored, affordable studio space for artists, building creative community and fostering public engagement with the arts and artists.
VISION AND PROGRAM GOALS
• Create an artist community that fosters diverse and numerous opportunities for growth and collaboration in the creation of new work.
• Ensure the representation of a wide range of experience in terms of artistic disciplines, artistic development, as well as diverse cultural and aesthetic approaches.
• Create a dynamic and accessible cultural destination for the community, with economic value for the resident artists.
• Foster active engagement with and visibility with the Palo Alto and surrounding communities.
• Continue to increase the prestigious and competitive reputation of the program. Ensure that the program is accessible, open, inclusive, equitable, and responsive to the community need for studio space.
Public Alchemy II Saturdays, February 25 - March 18, 2017 – CASP hosts its second annual Public Alchemy event, an open-ended exhibition intended to encourage and draw upon a broad range of media from within the community. The culminating exhibition will be on display Saturdays, February 25-March 18th from 12:00 - 6:00 PM. Opening reception will be hosted Saturday, February 25th from 6:00 – 8:00 PM at Cubberley Community Center, Art Lab U7.
Community Land Art Installation Saturdays, February 11 and February 25, 2017 from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM -- Volunteers of all ages are invited to join artist Linda Gass in planting native rushes (Juncus species). The permanent land art installation will mark the former shoreline of San Francisco Bay at Cooley Landing. Register online for Feb 11th by clicking here or for Feb 25th by clicking here.
Poetry Reading: Al-Mutanabbi Street Coalition Project Sunday, March 5, 2017 from 4:00 - 6:00 PM -- Hosted by CASP artist Servane Briand, this is an event for Bay Area artists and the whole community to celebrate the arts, show solidarity with the people of Iraq and support freedom of expression all around the world. This event will take place in Cubberley Community Center, Art Lab U7. For more information on Al-Mutanabbi, visit the website.
Cubberley Community Day Saturday, March 25 from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM -- Join CASP artists for open studios and various art activities as part of Cubberley's annual Community Day. This event has something for everyone: kid's activities, performances and demos, food and snacks, art exhibits and information tables for Cubberley tenants to share and discuss their programs and volunteer opportunities.
"Metamorphosis: Young People and the Journey of Immigration" and event with artist Robin Lasser June 1 - 12, 2017 -- Co-curated by CASP artist Barbara Boissevain, this exhibition will feature artwork from high school students responding to ideas of Islamophobia.
CASP ARTIST EXHIBITIONS
Catherine di Napoli -- Ecstasy: A New Exhibition of Works by di Napoli diPietro Todd - Mill Valley January 17 - March 15, 2017 Reception: February 3, 4-6 p.m.
Mel Day -- Wall of Song, with Michael Namkung January - April 2017
Catherine di Napoli -- Ecstasy Unbound: A New Exhibition of Works by di Napoli diPetro Todd - Pacific Heights July 1 - September 30, 2017